Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Petrol Engines, poor cold starting
  • spooky_b329

Up til now, all my cars have been diesels. Just bought a 53 reg Fiat Punto 1.2 8v petrol. It has a niggling problem, in that it doesn't always start first time in the morning.

Its still under warranty from the dealer but its a two hour round trip to the dealer, and obviously it takes two people so both car and van end up back where we want them. What with the viewing, collection and returning the car once already for some unforeseen issues (leaking gearbox ruined a brand new clutch, plus replacement shock absorbers) we can't be arsed to make the trip again if its going to be an inexpensive fix I can do myself.

So what should I point the finger at/replace first?

carlos
    Free Member

The Fiat

spooky_b329

Thanks…but thats not the plan 🙂

Anyone else?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Good old Fix.It.Again.Today! At least you have learnt a lesson about never buying a Fiat again 😆

wombat

If it turns over well but doesn't fire it's probably a problem with the plugs or the electrical supply to them.

New plugs would be a good starting place followed by decent quality HT leads.

I had a small engined petrol Fiat a few years back and found that plugs & leads ususlly sorted out poor starting from cold.

geoffj

get the battery tested.

zaskar
    Free Member

You could check battery charge, clean the spark plugs with a wire brush and chuck some injector cleaner in.

Once you've got it sorted it'll be fine.

I know it's a pain but get it serviced DIY or local garage and get back to the original garage for warranty work if it needs doing.

Edit-Do what the above guys mentioned-fast little poster's aint they lol

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Its all down to problem solving.
    You have a problem and you know the solution – but the solution involves perhaps 1 day arsing about, the flip side is, ignoring the solution – imposing a 'quick fix' and hopefully forgetting about the problem.
    The problem with cars is that there is almost always a cause and then an effect, the scenario in this case is that your FIAT breaks down proper in the middle of nowhere on some shitty night – I would get the car to the dealer pronto and save the grief that is in store for you later on if you dont want to pay (providing the fault is covered by the warranty – have you phoned the garage and asked ?) Like wise get it down to some auto tuner – pay the man for a diagnostic and tune up.

muddy@rseguy

Ditto plugs then HT leads. However issues with HT leads on Puntos can also manifest itself in occasional missfiring (and injector warning lights flashing)when accelerating.

Spooky, you could always ask a certain mutual friend who is also and ex-mechanic 😉

…or just pick up the phone and yell at the garage

spooky_b329

Thanks everyone (and guy!)

I'll look into the plugs and HT leads, I'd much rather give it a bash myself.

Don't mind spending a bit myself to sort it, as although the seller is only 30 miles away, thats 60 mile round trip for the car, plus 120 miles in the van (two round trips) which probably struggles to do over 30mpg. And it takes up most of the evening each time as its in rush hour.

Conor
    Free Member

It's because it's a Fiat.

It can only get worse.

If you've had those problems from start and it's under warrenty, i'd try and get the dealer to take it back!!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I would think of it as either an electrical problem,or fuel problem.

The cheapest serviceable items to replace would be the plugs and a fuel filter,if its getting a good regular spark and plenty of fuel,and has good cranking speed (Battery)it should start on the button.

If its electrical (poor spark) I would start at the Battery (check cranking amps) and work back from there,If its fuel I would start from the fuel supply (tank)also checking for air leaks/fuel leaks and work back from there.

good luck 😉

5lab

locate and unplug the cold start sensor – should be something that detects temperature of the engine and adds the modern equivilent of choke to the mix. If this doesn't affect the starting, its probably buggered.

£40

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cold-Start-Sensor—Fiat-Punto,-N.Panda,-Seicento-etc_W0QQitemZ290275471055QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091012?IMSfp=TL091012158005r15175

eta : thread on how to test cold start sensor in a slightly more scientific manner http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:F67-oZlR04cJ:www.fiatforum.com/punto/126567-punto-cold-start-problem.html+fiat+punto+1.2+cold+start&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk

samuri
    Free Member

The engine is so small and weak it struggles moving it's own inertia. I have more power in my legs than your car does. Plus I start up big time in the morning (assuming I'm primed with coffee), use a samuri to get your car going.

spooky_b329

Battery is good, spins over nice and fast. Always starts second time, doesn't labour.

Thanks for the tips.

The engine is so small and weak it struggles moving it's own inertia.

My last couple of cars have been nice and quick, decided that I don't need that anymore….cheap to run and cheap to repair is what I'm looking for now. Anyway, this thing is suprisingly nippy and its 60ish bhp only start to struggle once you get in the fast lane 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Petrol Engines, poor cold starting’ is closed to new replies.