Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Petition On Vitally Important Issue – Please Sign
  • GrahamS

Forget Brexit, this is where the real will of the people shows:

In the Statutory Instrument 2016 No. 362, the image for a Football ground (Leisure facility) is incorrectly a pattern of white and dark hexagons (Schedule 12, part 15, symbol 38).

It is mathematically impossible to construct a ball using only hexagons!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/202305

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPqKAGyajM[/video]

martinhutch

And while they’re at it, that plane doesn’t appear to have any engines. And British Rail hasn’t existed since 1997.

GrahamS

One thing at a time martin!

Besides the plane could be a glider.

And we don’t want to change all the rail signs back again when Corbyn gets in. 😉

wwaswas

the plane could be a glider.

not with those wing/body proportions – it’s clearly a wide bodied jet.

johndoh
    Free Member

Surely if you followed the signs to Bristol Airport you would end up at Bristol Airport, not the Bristol City FC ground? Or is the ground within the airport complex?

martinhutch

And as for this lot…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

How do you know the back of the ball is all hexagons?

Also what happens if my hexagons are of ever decreasing dimensions?

martinhutch

How do you know which bit is the back of the ball?

johndoh
    Free Member

How do you know which bit is the back of the ball?

It’s on the opposite side to the front.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As for this filth….

martinhutch

I’m a bit worried about the ball on the sign being in 2D rather than 3D. Misleading.

northernmatt

The German one for level crossing is a bit more up to date than Darth Thomas the Tank Engine up there^

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

martinhutch – Member
    I’m a bit worried about the ball on the sign being in 2D rather than 3D. Misleading.

It also breaks the maths a bit.

tjagain

When did you last see a camera like this one?

martinhutch

I must admit, tj, never!

Here you go, fixed it for you.

tjagain

which of us is hotlinkiing to a site that don’t allow it? 🙂

GrahamS

You is.

tjagain

buggeration 🙁

maccruiskeen

buggeration

johndoh
    Free Member

Lols

Northwind

I look at the football and think “Warning: Rorschach ahead”

theotherjonv

I’m starting a petition to demand that all games henceforth be played with the classic white and black hexagon / pentagon ball, instead of these multicoloured abominations.

And the Adidas Tango for World Cups, obviously.

aracer
    Free Member

Fail.

aracer
    Free Member

You just need hexagons like

and

GrahamS

Well the bloke from StandUpMaths said so and he gave a generalised proof using Euler’s Characteristic. So that’s good enough for me. 8)

(I don’t think the problem allows you to define multiple different hexagonal shapes)

willard

I just checked twice and it has six.

aracer
    Free Member

Well he should have specified that on the petition then. Though I note that he also claims in the video “even crazy distorted hexagons won’t work” – and I also note he’s happy enough using two different polygons on his ball, my version simply uses 3 different hexagons.

You’d think a maths person would be more precise 😉

matt_outandabout

I’ve never seen a workman open a brolley before either.

sirromj

I just checked twice and it has six.

The correct way to ascertain number of sides a shape has is to perform the check (sides + 1) times. So for a potential hexagon, you need to count the sides 7 times. Then you need to doublecheck.

I would offer to help but I’ve got some dodecahedrons to count the sides of.

aracer
    Free Member

The problem with such proofs is when you make incorrect assumptions as he does. The obvious ones (I think the only fundamental ones) are that there are a minimum of 3 faces meeting at every vertex and that there is only one edge where two faces meet. Both incorrect because he fails to consider concave hexagons.

Anyway, having put more thought into it, here’s a single hexagon capable of making a “ball” all on its own (at least it will make an object which satisfies the required Euler Characteristic):

Clearly I’m being quite pedantic here, but in my defence, he started it!

GrahamS

Actually I think perhaps the issue is that your shapes are concave so they are not “distorted hexagons” they are just six-sided polygons?

Edit: cross-post

GrahamS

here’s a single hexagon shape

What’s the definition of a “hexagon shape” that you are using?
    And how is it different from a six-sided polygon?

aracer
    Free Member

Sorry stealth edit – “hexagon shape” was your term, I’d meant to just write “hexagon”. The standard definition of a hexagon is a 6 sided polygon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagon – fairly accurate description, and a concave hexagon is a perfectly valid hexagon, even if what most people think of is a convex one. I have a feeling there have been some ball patterns including the 3-way symmetrical star concave hexagon, and certainly it feels like it ought to be possible to make a ball shape by using those along with 3-way symmetrical (but not regular) convex hexagons.

GrahamS

According to http://www.mathopenref.com/hexagon.html

The properties of ALL hexagons, presumably including crazy distorted ones, are:

Number of diagonals: 9

The number of triangles created by drawing the diagonals from a given vertex : 4

Sum of interior angles: 720°

aracer
    Free Member

All those properties also apply to concave hexagons, including all the pics I’ve posted.

GrahamS

Okay, so it is convexity that he is missing from his definition then?

I’ll feed that back to him in the YouTube comments.

(unless you want to?)

CountZero

Surely if you followed the signs to Bristol Airport you would end up at Bristol Airport, not the Bristol City FC ground? Or is the ground within the airport complex?

Well, if you’re traveling to BCFC from a certain direction, you also happen to be traveling towards Bristol Airport, which is roughly seven or eight miles, (perhaps more, I’ve never measured it), further west, but only from the Portway/Avon Gorge and Clifton direction.

GrahamS

Update

Well he’s made it over 10,000 signatures, so now at least the government must respond to this outrageous situation.

andytherocketeer

The other one that triggers my OCD is the £2 coin, which should also have had a petition years ago.
    The bit on the reverse with all the interlocking cogs that’s supposed to represent the industrial age. Clearly designed by an artist. So badly designed it couldn’t even represent industry grinding to a halt… It wouldn’t even turn in the first place.

I think there’s a new £2 coin now? (still had the old defective engineering version last time I was back home).

Are British Citizens that have been non-resident for > 15 years still allowed to sign petitions? If so, I will, just because.

GrahamS

Update

Someone has improved on your pedantry aracer and provided a 3D model of a football that looks like the one in the sign, when viewed from the correct angle 😀

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f449b7400bf512eeeaa9ab87/w/cbea975363464f9e9cf1ea69/e/ab165d07361f77cd86aa07ed

Despite this set back I’m please to say the petition is now at 15,958 signatures. 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Petition On Vitally Important Issue – Please Sign’ is closed to new replies.