Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Pertex Shield fabric
  • Spin
    Free Member

Has anyone else found this to be about as breathable as a bin bag?

I got a Montane Atomic jacket in this fabric (not for cycling) and even when not excercising the condensation builds up really rapidly.

Any other recommendations for light, cheap fabrics that actually breath? I know, pick 2…

mrjmt
    Free Member

Not that it really helps but I’ve got a rab pertex shield+ jacket.
    Wore it in a rain storm in the jungle in Malaysia in 90% humidity, not at all sweaty inside, was absolutely amazed by it. Wife had a mammut goretex jacket on, sweaty as a bin bag.

mafiafish
    Free Member

I find goretex active to be good for cycling and medium-paced jogging. If you give it the beans then it does get sweaty.

Pertex Shield should be more breathable though?

somafunk

What base layer do you wear underneath it?, I have a Montane Photon Pertex shield jacket and find it a brilliant bit of kit, it’s got one of the highest ratings for breathability and a very high hydrostatic head rating for waterproofness.

Spin
    Free Member

What base layer do you wear underneath it?

Makes no difference, tried it with all sorts of stuff. My dad had the same problem with the trousers.

I did a bit of googling and there are a few folks out there complaining about the breathability.

jonba
    Free Member

If you want more breath ability then sacrifice water proofing. I use a monatne featherlight most of the year on the road bike unless it is forecast for torrential rain the entire day. I find that I get as wet from the inside in more waterproof fabrics and it works well enough that I only get a bit damp.

Spin
    Free Member

I have a Montane Photon Pertex shield jacket and find it a brilliant bit of kit, it’s got one of the highest ratings for breathability

I think this is actually a different version of the fabric from the one I have.

footflaps

Basic Pertex is very breathable, never had a problem with condensation with it.

somafunk

Ahh, quite possibly – there appears to be two variants of Pertex Sheild or possibly two descriptions of the same product?

Your Atomic Jacket :

Waterproof to a minimum of 10,000 hydrostatic head and with a minimum MVTR of 8,000g/m²/25hrs

My Photon Jacket :

Exceptionally high PERTEX® Shield Plus fabric breathability at 25,000 MVTR and a minimum 20,000mm hydrostatic head

Confusing?….I’ve never had any issue with it being sweaty in the slightest and my core runs hot.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Two different versions – Pertex Shield OR Pertex Shield Plus

somafunk

They are both advertised (on montane site and elsewhere) as being made from Pertex Shield Plus , somethings not quite right?…….

neilwheel
    Free Member

Just had a quick look on Montane, the Atomic is listed as Pertex Shield, no plus, with the 10K and 8K figures you have shown above.

somafunk

Ahh, my mistake, i’m reading it on my iPhone screen.

stever
    Free Member

I have a Montane minimus which looks to be Shield+ and it’s surprisingly breathable. I ran in it last night and was working quite hard. A touch damp in places but a long way from wetting out.

Spin
    Free Member

So it seems that Sheild+ is significantly better. I ran in my Atomic today and I might as well not have bothered with a jacket.

globalti
    Free Member

Original Pertex isn’t sweaty or waterproof, but it makes a great lightweight windproof.

Pertex was typewriter ribbon; the factory looked around and found another use for it.

Trekster

globalti – Member
    Original Pertex isn’t sweaty or waterproof, but it makes a great lightweight windproof.

Had my ancient Polaris one on this morning 😆

dereknightrider
    Free Member

Pertex is a wicking fabric, to be truly effective it needs to be used alongside Goretex, which gets pretty pricey in these days of margin pressure.

onandon
    Free Member

Never had a problem with a montane minimus.

benman
    Free Member

Pertex are a brand rather than a type of fabric.

Some of their fabrics are lightweight wovens (non-waterproof) which are used as wind proofs or on down jackets. E.g Pertex quantum, classic or Microlight.

Pertex Shield is their waterproof technology and comes in 2 guises. Shield and shield plus. Shield plus is higher performing (typically more water resistant and more breathable)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Pertex Shield fabric’ is closed to new replies.