Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • personal statement for uni.
  • pk13

My daughter is going next year and has to produce a statement.

It’s been a while for me and Mrs pk13. the content is not so much of an issue but it’s grabbing the attention of the person reading the statement.

So have you completed one recently or do you read them at work? Keep it to point or a little zany?

Hive mind Input welcome.

djflexure

I think you can tell if they are genuine and interesting. Perhaps it’s a story of experiences growing up linked to aspiration.

Mad and attention grabbing – I’m not so sure.
    Too formulaic, you know aspirational with an emphasis on box ticking gets old quickly.

pk13

I should add it’s for an art course. And will go along with an attended interview.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Just draw a cock and balls then underneath write. My art speaks for itself. Daughters name aged 17 3/4

anagallis_arvensis

Keep to the point use lots of examples of what she like and why and whats she’s done etc. Most uni’s wont read them anyway. Expect to have to submit a portfolio for an art degree.

bigblackshed

I’ve been interviewing candidates for the last two weeks. If I have to hear any more more pseudo BS I’m likely to throw the offender out of the 3rd floor window. Just be yourself for Dog sake!

Here’s a free one on me, and one I live by:

It’s not the winning, or even taking part. It’s the arsing about that counts.

pk13

Portfolio is covered. But needs more cock apparently. It’s not being made any easier due to the huge huff that see is in right now

thegreatape
    Free Member

But needs more cock apparently

Well at least she feels able to be open and honest with you 😕

anagallis_arvensis

and tell her to pull her finger out, its only the lazy and disorganised that havent submitted yet. Loads of kids with 5 offers already.

boxelder

EDIT: AA said it in 1/10th the words. For Art it’s the portfolio and they’ll want to know that she’s experimented with lots of media/subjects etc.
    Expect to have to send an electronic portfolio……in the middle of the Christmas break….

Northwind

The UCAS advice is genuinely good, and sets the landscape for unis.

I won’t give specific advice, because we don’t do arts courses so what we look for is a bit different (we have an arts school but they do all their own stuff) but in general… Well, absolute most important thing is, there are more terrible personal statements than there are excellent one. I’m not saying be average, but be thoughtful.

Experience and a personal engagement with the subject/course is generally what stands out, real examples to make the point, an idea of the thought process that led her here, and where she wants to go and how the course progresses that.

And remember that they have her grades and her portfolio so don’t rehash that much- they have that already in a better format, you can refer to it but don’t repeat it. Amazing how many people basically list their A levels, you don’t have space and even if you did it’d be rubbish

And if it looks like a cliche, change it. They want what inspires her and what makes her a good student, not a motiviational poster. No lists of things she’s done, it’s got to have context, no “I did the duke of edinburgh and that proves I am a top dude”, you want “I gained this when I did X” or “Doing X helped me to figure out why I want to do this thing”, that sort of thing.

And definitely mention about her need for more cock.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘personal statement for uni.’ is closed to new replies.