Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Performance kitchen gear
  • plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Right, kitchen painted. Magnetic knife rack purchased and attached to wall.

Could somebody please recommend me a nice chef’s knife. I’m after durability and sensible value for money, but will pay for something that will do a good job for a long time…

Whilst I’m at it, what about pepper mills? I understand that Peugeot are the brand for those in the know….?

bruneep

some nice ceramic knifes would look good on the rack. 😉

Kuco

I’ve got a couple of Wüsthof knifes including the 16cm one of these though I wished I got a slightly bigger one.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Get a Wusthof chefs knife.

A 18cm blade one will do most things.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

ooh – liking the Wusthof in a “getting the job done” way

Kuco

Next to a decent chef knife imo the next best one to have is a decent paring knife.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Global Knife

Dualit Toaster

organic355
    Free Member

Errr, the ceramic knifes won’t stick to the magnet?

This topic is done once a week, try a search, failing that get a global G2 chefs knife it’s all you will ever need.

teagirl
    Free Member

Gustaf emil ern, made in Germany. All you will ever need, well those and a steel to sharpen those babies.

bruneep

Errr, the ceramic knifed won’t stick to the magnet?

🙄

wallop

Don’t go Global, go Henckel! Awesome knives.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Errr, the ceramic knifed won’t stick to the magnet?

organic355
    Free Member

Didn’t see the wink, too small on the phone.

molgrips
    Free Member

See the hifi thread.

If there’s anything dafter than people waffling on about hifi it’s people waffling on about bloomin kitchen knives ffs!

I suggest one of pure obsidian forged in the fires of Hades by Vulcan’s own hand. That’ll make your spag bol taste amazing!

Kuco

If there’s anything dafter than people waffling on about hifi it’s people waffling on about bloomin kitchen knives ffs!

Nearly as daft as waffling on about bikes 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m with Molgrips. Don’t go getting spensive knives so’s you can pretend to your friends you’re a top chef or sumfink, when all your good at is doing a Pot Noodle…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I suggest one of pure obsidian forged in the fires of Hades by Vulcan’s own hand

Hah! Obsidian can’t be forged! in either sense.

poppa
    Free Member

Global are overpriced, but look nice. I wouldn’t buy another. I don’t think you’d ever see a Global in a professional kitchen (could be wrong though).

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Hah! Obsidian can’t be forged!

In the fires of Hades, by Vulcan’s own hands it can, so ner! 😛

sam_underhill

For salt and pepper, get something with a crushgrind mechanism. It’s astounding how much better than anything else they are.

Spud

Whilst we’re on kitchen stuff, what deep-fat fryer?

tang
    Free Member

we have just inherited a set of victorinox forged knives, not bad at all.

Pieface

is obsidian magnetic?

warton
    Free Member

see if you can get to a good shop and try a few for size and weight.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

FWIW, I like Tesco’s “professional” range.
    This Independent newspaper just covered this: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/the-ten-best-kitchen-knives-2203832.html

phil.w
    Free Member

Global are overpriced, but look nice. I wouldn’t buy another. I don’t think you’d ever see a Global in a professional kitchen (could be wrong though).

Global knives are easily the most common brand of knife in professional kitchens. Yet I have worked with chefs who use cheap nylon handle knives and others who spend a lot more. You can only tell what suits you by trying a knife for comfort in the hand.

One thing for sure is that chefs rarely have a whole range of the same brand knife. For example I have several larger Global knives but hate there smaller paring knives.

simondbarnes

I’ve used these for years…

http://nipponkitchen.com/acatalog/Tojiro_DP_Range.html

Really like them.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tee hee!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>For salt and pepper, get something with a crushgrind mechanism<

Whats a crushgrind?

sam_underhill
    poppa
    Free Member

Global knives are easily the most common brand of knife in professional kitchens.

That told me! I thought Global recommended against using them to crush garlic etc. with the flat of the knife though?

Daffy

If you watch anything with Jamie O or GR cooking in their own homes, they both use some Global knives when cooking. They’re so distinctive it’s easy to spot.

Personally I love Global knives.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Performance kitchen gear’ is closed to new replies.