Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Peregrine falcons
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

100% awesome. FACT.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Indeedy! 8)

simonjf63
    Free Member

They are rather special. I used to sit in my office opposite Lambeth Palace and listen to them heading over on their way to Tate Modern. So good to see them in the city

MrNutt
    Free Member

+1 but I do feel I should advise that other birds are available:

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I had a stroke of luck last week saw one on an embankment with a pigeon in its talons, it just stared at me as I rode past. Awesome!

Talkemada
    Free Member

Peregrines rock. There was a pair that nested in the tower of the Tate Modern; apparently they helped keep the pigeons away. Good to see these beautiful birds making a comeback once more.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You just like Peregrine Falcons Flash, because they remind you of this Tory public school educated former Telegraph editor :

You big poncy toff.

elaineanne
    Free Member

dont ever reveal their nesting locations if you see them in their nesting period… dont want people nicking birds eggs…

fadda

I'm lucky enough not to live too far from Symonds Yat – you can walk up onto Yat Rock and watch them stoop on the pigeons! 😀

geoffj

Beautiful birds. If you get the chance, one of the easiest places to see them is Malham Cove.

I remember sitting in a meeting in Millbank Tower when one dived past. The whole room ended up sat open mouthed at what they had just seen.

Its a bonus that they eat flying rats.

miketually
    Free Member

Saw a display at Alnwick castle where they had a Peregrine Gyr cross. Amazing.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Saw one when I was fishing in the River Wye.Didn't catch anything,but that made my weekend.

pinches
    Free Member

they use them in Victoria station to catch the flea ridden pigeons!

teagirl
    Free Member

geoffj – seen them round there too, amazing sight!

iain1775
    Free Member

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/Cathedral-peregrines-produce-2010-egg/article-1940579-detail/article.html

they are officially (says me) the only awesome thing in all of Derby – 5 years running!

Stoner
    Free Member

we have 5+ of them across the road from us here in malvern.

noisy buggers. I might just go and get the gun….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stoner, they're not eaters! 😉 Go and bag some pigeon for the pot, much like a peregrine!

whytetrash

Get a sparrowhawk taking sparrows in my back garden now and then…when you are nearby its like a jet going past!..really makes you jump.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Lanners Falcons kick peregrine's butt (sort of), they basically do the same thing but horizontally instead of in a vertical dive and instead of defenseless pigeons they mainly take bird prey in flight!

Have flown a variety birds of prey & owls down in Kent, apart from the harris hawks they're my fave. 8)

imp999
    Free Member

My Dad used to love all things Avian especially these fellas.
    And then he started racing pigeons.
    Now he hates them. And the Sparrowhawk that took the head off his prize beauty as it was sitting on the tellegraph pole in his garden.
    Give me the falcons/hawks any day.
    Some predator prog on BBC1 tonight said they do 200mph in their stoop!

westkipper
    Free Member

You all realise that peregrines (and other falcons) are just predatory songbirds?
    Yes folks, those naughty spoilsports the molecular biologists seem to be suggesting that falcons are more closely related to passerines than to other birds of prey such as hawks and eagles.
    'interested me anyway…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Peregrine falcons’ is closed to new replies.