Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • peregrine-falcon-nest-webcam-pigeon-carnage!
  • ahwiles
    Free Member

this has been covered before, but i reckon it deserves a re-run 🙂

a pair of Peregrines have a nest-box on a sheffield church, they’re doing an excellent job of raising 3 chicks.

the chicks are doing an excellent job of hiding from the camera…

click_for_beaky_cuteness

sharki
    Free Member

Fantastic.
    I can now run this alongside Monty and Glesn’s cam on the Dyfi..

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

Warning: These webcams contain live unedited footage of peregrine falcons. Please understand that at times this may include disturbing images.

Just what do they get up to in there the filthy beasts! 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

mainly: ripping pigeons to pieces, then pooping on the students*.

(*the ‘church’ is now a lecture theatre)

ahwiles
    Free Member

pigeon being eaten/shredded right now!

Edric64
    Free Member

The racing pigeon owners in Bristol moan about he Peregrines snacking on their birds in the Avon gorge .They ought to fly faster then !!

unklehomered
    Free Member

DAMN YOU CRAPPY WORK COMPUTERS!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!! 👿

CountZero

The racing pigeon owners in Bristol moan about he Peregrines snacking on their birds in the Avon gorge .They ought to fly faster then !!

Pigeon owners all over the country want all raptors culled, because the large numbers of them are decimating the owners aviaries. These are people who breed pigeons in order to take advantage of the bird’s homing instinct and force them to fly hundreds of miles, often over open sea, like the English Channel, in all winds and weathers, for the purpose of winning status and money.
    They’ll accept the loss of dozens of birds in a storm as being one of those things, but losing birds to natural predators is unacceptable, and those predators should be poisoned or shot!
    Personally, I think pigeon racing should be banned, and owners who attempt to race birds prosecuted for animal cruelty.
    Circuses are no longer allowed to use animals in performances, for this reason.

sv

I wish supper would hurry up 🙂

spchantler
    Free Member

brill got it on desktop, ta

unklehomered
    Free Member

meanwhile in Norwich the last scraps are being consumed, annoyingly I missed the full bird – again!

http://upp.hawkandowl.org/norwich-peregrines/live-peregrine-web-cam-2013/

But I think Nottingham wins for chicks nearest fledging.

http://www.ntu.ac.uk/ecoweb/biodiversity/falcons/index.html?campaignid=falcons

unklehomered
    Free Member

Feeding Time!

hamishthecat

I’m sure there was a ring on that one…

Edric64
    Free Member

Racing pigeons are dumb my cat had one last year

unklehomered
    Free Member

urban pigeons don’t spend much time flying high, which Falcons need in order to hunt, they evolved to hunt cliff pigeons which provided lots of altitude for diving at 200 mph.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

[

Racing pigeons are dumb my cat had one last year

Oh yeah ! Well did cats help us win the war ?

Ambrose

When I did a lot of climbing I used to regularly find rings on high ledges on e.g. Cadair Idris. I posted them anonymously, just stating a very vague area for their provenance, not wanting the raptors to be persecuted.

CountZero

Somewhere I’ve got a photo I took a couple of years or so ago of one of the Peregrines that nest on the church in Bath.
    It was perched on one of the little stone pinnacle jobbies at the base of the steeple, plucking something that it had caught, letting a little trail of feathers drift away in the breeze. Probably a pigeon, loads of the feathered rats around the city.

Stoner
    Free Member

8 yrs ago I found a headless pigeon in my courgette bed. It had a ring on it’s foot.

We used to live directly opposite a quarry wall on which breeding peregrine’s nested.

It was rare to see the local pigeons get much hassle from the peregrines as they seemed to know how to avoid them. Out-of-towner racing pigeons were obviously not as smart.

Ernie of this ‘ere parish (and closet pigeon fancier BTW) pointed me in the right direction for reporting the find of the ring which I did. Never got any response though.

JoeG
    Free Member

We got em in the US as well. There’s a nest on the Cathedral of Learning at the Univ of Pittsburgh. Its not a church cathedral, its a 40+ story skyscraper. I think there is another on the Gulf tower downtown.

Webcam

psychle
    Free Member

Raptor devouring pigeon you say? Woke up one morning to spot this friendly chap not more than a metre away from my window enjoying his/her breakfast, hung around for 15-20 minutes picking the bones, was a very cool urban wildlife encounter 😀 . I think it’s a sparrow hawk but await correction!

Sparrowhawk 010 by ten_sim, on Flickr

Sparrowhawk 028 by ten_sim, on Flickr

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

feeding time,..where’s the third chick?

fasthaggis

It’s tucked in the corner 🙂

swavis

Cheers for the link, I’ll keep an eye out for feeding time 8)

Quite local to me…
    Ospreys at Loch Garten

P20

Feeding time

budgierider67

Love it!

shifter
    Free Member

Addictive viewing. They look expectant right now.

budgierider67

Chewing on a foot now with ID ring still attached

lemonysam
    Free Member

Meanwhile, combining Ospreys and Mountain Biking, Kielder’s doing alright for itself this year.

Home

M1llh0use
    Free Member

CARNAGE NOW!!

spchantler
    Free Member

yes! pull its head off!one of the chicks doesn’t seem to be getting a look in…

Bunnyhop

Personally, I think pigeon racing should be banned, and owners who attempt to race birds prosecuted for animal cruelty.
    Circuses are no longer allowed to use animals in performances, for this reason.

Agree.

All the neighbours that feed their garden birds hate sparrowhawks and would get rid if possible, I love them. However I would like it even more if the raptors ate more grey squirrels which are tree rats imo.

boxelder

That cam in Nottingham seems to just show one dead young un.
    🙁

tonyplym
    Free Member

Anyone know how the young get fluids ? – what/where do they drink – or do they get enough liquid from the food provided by the adult birds ?

Nottingham camera – looks like some very slight movement – asleep/resting ?

ell_tell
    Free Member

We have Peregrines nesting on our building in Central Cardiff. They’ve had 3 chicks this year so good going.

I actually got up close to one of the chicks earlier today when I helped the falconer ring a male chick that had fallen/flown from the nest. Stunning to see them up close and was quite surprised how large it was even though its approx 4-6 weeks old.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Last time i checked they were pretty much all white, they are looking great now,..how long until takeoff?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

feeding time 🙂

P20

Yeah just watched them. Quite a change, they’re getting big now

ahwiles
    Free Member

Whathaveisaidnow – Member

…how long until takeoff?

i think someone asked that question on the twitter feed, and i think the answer was ‘june 12th’

Gee Atherton must be shi**ng himself…

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘peregrine-falcon-nest-webcam-pigeon-carnage!’ is closed to new replies.