Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Perception – weight on the bike V weight on your back
  • big_scot_nanny

Anyone notice any difference in bike handling/general riding with weight on the bike rather than one’s back?

I noticed 2 things: 1 – very nice not to have a backpack on, esp with 3 litres of fluid on board. 2 – bugger all difference to the way the bike rode up or down.

Being a fatbike-ist, I of course invested in some revelate gear to match my new, go anywhere, live and ride wild philosophy.

ahem…

Anyhoo, not done any overnighters yet, but after cleaning the bike before the weekend riding I thought: “bugger it, why don’t I use the frame bag instead of a backpack” (revelate frame bag is very nice indeed BTW).

So, duly transfered spare tube, pump, gloves, tools etc etc, and also my 3 litre bladder, into the frame bag. What a fantastic experience. Nothing on your back = much less sweaty and nothing moving about, and I noticed no difference at all in the way the bike handled. In fact, if anything it all felt a hell of a lot better (really steep ups I got less front wheel wander, rattly/jumpy downs the backpack wasn’t there to move around).

I am aware that I am dangerously close to having one of those “triangle” bags from the 80s for top/seat tube corner, and really not matching the current “enduro” look, but it really was a surprise.

Anyone else?

Kev

jam-bo

I noticed when I lost a ~1kg off the weight of my wheels/tyres.

I don’t really notice when I’ve drunk a litre of water.

rOcKeTdOg

The only thing I carry on my person is a phone, everything else (tube, pump, wallet, packable jacket, multitool & camera) is on the bike via custom made storage from http://www.beerbabe.co.uk I hate rucksacks

scotroutes

Everything on the bike whenever possible. A bumbag is a nice option as it doesn’t hold much (so won’t ever weigh much) and you don’t get a sweaty back.

For long hike-a-bike/carry sections a backpack can, however, be more convenient.

big_scot_nanny

and I see (rocketdog) on the site you have your very own wallet sir! Does one’s financial requirements dictate a bespoke solution? 😉

I guess with most full sus and dropper posts (i do run a dropper on the mukluk), you can’t get a frame bag in, but after years of backpack MTBing it was just such a revelate -ion (pun!) to have this new feeling.

Lovely!

rOcKeTdOg

It’s called Rocketdog because I specifically asked for some where to stash my cake change as the existing wallets just had note & CC slots. My proudest moment to date is having it named after me 😀

Judy at Beerbabe just made a bag for the Fatty for me too

Gotama
    Free Member

I keep getting tempted by the frame pack for my Jones spaceframe. Haven’t used a rucksack for ages (switched to bottles and wouldn’t go back) and it just strikes me as a very convenient place to stuff a couple of bottles, wallet, phone and multitool. Bottles wouldn’t get muddy either.

TooTall
    Free Member

I spent an age on my commuter swapping between panniers and a rucsack and ended up with the weight on my back. I just noticed it less there – probably because it is a lower percentage of my body weight than it is of the bike. I sweat like a paratrooper in a spelling test anyway so having the bag on makes no difference on that front.
    Horses for courses.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I notice when I put all the luggage on the bike instead of the backpack. The bike feels heavy and I feel lighter and my back is less sweaty. Bike luggage wins 2:1.

However I don’t particualry mind the heavier bike within reason. 95% of the time when carrying lots of kit I’m not riding on any sort of limit so the handlings a minor issue. Does anyone do #enduro bikepacking, do you need special #enduro fluro bike luggage?

For anything else from #enduro to XC I’d just stick a bottle on the frame and tube/tools in the back pocket or saddlebag. I really don’t get the ‘back pockets are ghey’ thing that’s crept into MTB’ing in the last few years. three pockets for flapjack, gillet and helmet lamp battery, they’re not the velominati rules but they should be in the night ride version!

nickc

I don’t carry masses in my rucksack, a small pencil case that’s got repair kit and pump, a couple of bit of food. maybe 1/2 lt of water, and a foldable waterproof. conversely to rocketdog, I hate saddle packs (although his custom made one is by far the nicest I’ve seen) and my bike doesn’t have bottle mounts anyway.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I really notice weight on the bike, far more than on my back (up to a point). I usually do multi-day rides with a backpack and the weight rarely detracts from the experience, while I find a heavier bike (especially when loaded up with kit) is harder to handle well for longer. On short rides I’d not notice the difference but having switched to a bike 8lbs lighter than the previous one last year I find I don’t tire as much on long technical rides and it’s easier to put the bike where I want it.

I don’t notice increases in weight on my gut or my bag anywhere near as much as I do that on the bike.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I think my camlbaks fine and Im sure its protected my back in a couple of of crashes. It also up out of the way and keeps my back warm. If your fit I dont think it makes any real difference where the weight is. Riders weight is the key issue here as a % of the total mass of bike + man. Im 73kg bikes 11kg QED adding 1kg to the bike or man will make little real world difference. If your suffering from too much sweat then its your fitness and layering thats wrong.

ska-49
    Free Member

I’ve gone the other way.
    I use to hate bags but bought one cheap recently and now love it.
    I use to be able to feel the tools moving, vibrating and making noise.
    Moved it all into my bag and I don’t even notice I’m wearing it. Lovely.
    It also keeps me a bit warmer and dryer this time of year. I’m a convert.

jameso

I’ve done a few multi-day rides with a backpack for the convenience and overflow space, but earlier this year did 8 days or so without it and was much comfier in the heat. I like a backpack for other reasons though and as long as it’s not more than about 5-6lbs I don’t see any problem with it.
    The only reason I don’t use my framebag full-time on my regular-use bike is that it attracts clag and wears the tubes, slowly but steadily. My steel bikepacker is down to the metal in places and has been Humbrol’ed recently.

Weight on the bike is noticed at first but in all honesty I think after a few days / a week on a loaded bike (~10-12lbs kit, so lightly loaded) you do get used to it and there’s benefits as well as the expected drawbacks of the added weight. Going faster overall isn’t one of the benefits though.. it reminds me of the negative opposite, a 20lb XC bike I borrowed for a week ages ago that felt quick but also like it would just bounce off a pebble. Loaded bikes always take a suprising amount more effort to hop over stuff though.

jameso

And if you wear a backpack, does that extra weight help you turn the pedals when stood up compared to the same weight in a frame bag?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Perception – weight on the bike V weight on your back’ is closed to new replies.