Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • £ per mile
  • hodgynd
    Free Member

40p per mile ?
    Where do you get that figure from ..its 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles and 25p per mile thereafter…

prawny

Interestingly I just worked out my MTB and that is costing me 100 times my commuter @ £3.48 per mile but it was over twice the price and gets used a tenth as much.

whitestone
    Free Member

Commuter cost £800 and it currently works out at 10p/Km. The Solaris cost £2200 and works out at 21p/Km.

Neither costing includes replacement of parts nor any potential selling on.

The cost of the commuter could be offset against the cost of train fares (£6.50/day) which would be over £1000 so it would be reasonable to argue that it actually costs 0p/Km in terms of capital costs. I’ve spent about £200 on replacement parts over that time so I’d say at the moment the total cost of ownership vs fare saving is about even.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

People actually work stuff like this out for their bikes?

Smiles per miles, my MTB is worth every penny.

djglover
    Free Member

My Giant TCR is on about 25p per mile, £1300+500 upgrade to wheels and covered about 7,000 miles on it so far. Not bad for ultegra, carbon wheels etc.

I guess if I sold it I would cash in having spent £15p per mile to own it for 2 years

Not bad I guess.

Wonder how much I spent on extra beer and pies though?

miketually
    Free Member

40p per mile ?
    Where do you get that figure from ..its 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles and 25p per mile thereafter…

I don’t drive and so never claim for car use for work. It was 40p per mile for us when I last claimed anything (for bike use @20p per mile) years ago.

No idea what we pay now – if 45p is the maximum allowed by HMRC then we could well be still paying 40p per mile. Nobody here would ever rack up 10000 miles in a year of driving, so the lower rate would never apply to anyone I work with.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

People actually work stuff like this out for their bikes

Only when someone else starts a thread on it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I haven’t been accurately choosing the bike type on Strava. This is a shame tbh as I could have had some interesting stats, especially on performance.

whitestone
    Free Member

Easy to do if you have Strava and log rides against each bike. You just have to remember how much you paid for the bike.

bigjim

People actually work stuff like this out for their bikes?

it’s not like it takes more than a few seconds effort

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

it’s not like it takes more than a few seconds effort

Not questioning the effort, more the reason to do it. I couldn’t really give a flying **** what it costs, I love MTBing.

RustySpanner

miketually – Member
    MTB stuff does seem designed to last for a year at one 20 mile ride per weekend.

Sue’s still on the same Hope Mono Minis that came with the bike about 10 years ago.

I’ve had one Shimano caliper and a lever go in the same time.

Same wheels, Mavic on Hope from Merlin.

Rear mechs average 2 years, but some just last forever.

Cassette, chain ,and grips and BB every year at least, chainrings pedals and saddles about two?

Tyres about a year.

Fork rebuild every three years or so.

Apart from that, replaceables and a posh set of carbon bars, that’s it.

🙂

simmy
    Free Member

I get paid 20p per mile for commuting so that covers the cost.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

People actually work stuff like this out for their bikes

I used to, yes, only roughly though.
    I’d buy a bike, add accessories etc then work out how that compared to just fuel usage on the car. When I’d done enough miles to equate to paying for the whole bike, I’d sell it it on and buy another. So anything I got back was effectively profit. I don’t think I ever went above £400 for a whole bike including all the accessories though, the last one was about £250 all in. There’s no way I’d pay more than £400 all in for a commuting bike too.

mlbaker
    Free Member

For my fun bike (BMX) I work out its ROI based on time and what I earn every hour of the year: £4.66 gross. Therefore to pay back my £500 investment I need to ride it for 107 hours which will be about 1 year based on 2 hours riding per week.

With my commuter the only time I’ve worked out mileage cost is when trying to justify a posher bike…

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘£ per mile’ is closed to new replies.