Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • People who leave reading material in the toilet/bathroom
  • BillyWhizz
    Free Member

do they have NO concept of hygiene?

glenp
    Free Member

If you get crap on your book when on the loo, it is you that has no concept of hygiene.

My toothbrush is in the bathroom too, no crap on that either.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

lol @ glenp

obirobkeno
    Free Member

Why a lack of hygiene? Just interested… 😀

wwaswas

surely it's best to leave it in there than pick it up after you've washed your hands to take it out and distribute any germs over the rest of the house?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What are you on about….

Take down trousers.
    Sit
    Pick up book
    Read book whilst clearing bowels
    Put down book
    Wipe or bidet for those in the South.
    Wash hands.

Which bits unhygenic?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Reading is more important than hygiene anyway 🙂 I still have a clear mental picture of my little daughter at 2 sitting on the loo reading her "poo book" :o) She's 24 now and might not thank me for reminding her…

djglover
    Free Member

BillyWizz must wipe his ass with old copies of the Daily Star and not flush them

DezB
    Free Member

Pick up book

Book? Surely MTB mag? 🙂

And as said, hands are always washed afterwards (filth, those MTB mags), so where's the hygene problem, Bill?

hainey
    Free Member

LOL – billy, you must be doing something completly wrong!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

many animals seem to survive licking their arses clean…

[not that I'm suggesting you should try it]

gonefishin
    Free Member

My toothbrush is in the bathroom too, no crap on that either.

Actually I strongly suspect that there is, albeit in microscopic quantities, as contaminants will be aerosoled when you flush the toilet. It's not necessarily a problem though as the immune system of a healthy adult is more than capable of dealing with contaminants like this.

The Mythbusters did a thing on it.

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode12

kimbers

at the moment i have stw, fastlane bmx mag and dirt in my bathroom library

GrahamS

As per previous thread: perfectly hygenic if you sit down to pee, not so much if you stand and accidentally strafe your magazine pile with friendly fire.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Actually I strongly suspect that there is, albeit in microscopic quantities, as contaminants will be aerosoled when you flush the toilet.

Thats why we have lids on toilet seats, and the lid should be down before flushing.

hora
    Free Member

I can't visit the toilet without reading something.

OP- I see where you are coming from its a question of etiquette etc and looks 'wrong'. However public toilet doors are far far worse things you can touch.

gonefishin
    Free Member

It's perfectly possible to contaminants to be released even if the lid is down, although the amount would be less. As I said though it's not actually an issue (no matter where the lid is) provided that the bathroom is kept clean as the quantities are so small that they won't actually do any harm.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

research done in hospitals actually showed contaminants spread further with the lid down as it act like a nozzle concentrating the aerosol effect. Hence hospital toilets rarely have lids nowadays

However your toilet usually has less bugs than your kitchen -as there is nothing for them to live on in the bathroom – unless you leave damp towels and facecloths in the bathroom which breed psuedomonas

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Apparently you're supposed to keep you toothbrush at least 6ft from the toilet to avoid 'cross contamination'.

Anyone think their toothpaste tastes slightly nutty :-O

hora
    Free Member

The 'smell' is actually tiny particules of your own 'matter' isn't it?

kimbers

i thought the smell was volatile sulphur compounds rather than small chunks of faeces

DezB
    Free Member

I still have a clear mental picture of my little daughter at 2 sitting on the loo reading her "poo book"

She's probably grown out of it, cos it's only blokes that read on the loo.

hilldodger
    Free Member

However your toilet usually has less bugs than your kitchen

It's not just about absolute numbers though is it, I'd reather be in an environment with millions of commensal bacteria than dozens of pathogenic ones……

BillyWhizz
    Free Member

Am I the only sane one here?
    What about people who carry out an intermediate wipe during the procedure?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What about people who carry out an intermediate wipe during the procedure?

hainey
    Free Member

Intermediate wipe?????? 😯

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No – yuo are not sane billy. You don't understand about bugs. You don't get ill from your own bugs – even gut ones like E coli. You could eat your own poo and drink your own urine and not get sick

Hilldodger – you get more dangerous bugs in your kitchen as well. Litseriosis and salmonella for starters. You don't get them in the bathroom

glenp
    Free Member

BW – I think most people would rather keep their hand well away until the end, and then wash their hands directly. Like I said before, maybe it is yourself that has no idea about hygiene!

As for poo on the toothbrush – quite correct as for background levels, but there again on that level there is crap everywhere, and we seemed to have survived so far.

brakes
    Free Member

I am currently playing Sky Force on my iPhone during 'sit down' visits to the commode

obirobkeno
    Free Member

Wipe half-way through? Why, God, why? That's just wastefull! Think of the trees you're using for no reason at all! :O

hilldodger
    Free Member

Hilldodger – you get more dangerous bugs in your kitchen as well. Litseriosis and salmonella for starters.

Only when introduced by poor food hygiene practises, and Listeriosis is a disease not a 'bug' 😉

Point is, 'toilet bacteria' are more likely to be involved in person-to-person disease transmission, especially in public facilities where usage is sufficently high that the bacteria need only to survice rather than actively reproduce.

research done in hospitals actually showed contaminants spread further with the lid down as it act like a nozzle concentrating the aerosol effect. Hence hospital toilets rarely have lids nowadays

Strange that the NHS website should say
    "When you flush, germs from the toilet bowl travel as far as six feet, landing on the floor, the sink and your toothbrush. A study showed that significant quantities of microbes float around the bathroom for at least two hours after each flush. Always put the toilet lid down before flushing."

You could eat your own poo and drink your own urine and not get sick

That comment is useless without pictures 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Anybody posting on here from their phone whilst on the throne?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hmmmm – hilldodger thats from memory a few years ago. Maybe it was less but travelled further?

obirobkeno
    Free Member

***starts pulling work desktop PC in lavvy just to prove a point***

hilldodger
    Free Member

I can't figure the whole 'taking a dump as a recreational activity' thing 😯

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you're all being so precious – the race would never have survived the era before hygiene was invented if we were so fragile!

brakes
    Free Member

the work toilet is the last remaining place in the world where you can truly hide away from the pressures and realities of life without fear of being disturbed
    and listen to your colleagues making rude noises
    PAARRRP, PLOP-PLOP

hilldodger
    Free Member

Hmmmm – hilldodger thats from memory a few years ago. Maybe it was less but travelled further?

well I'm currently on 'environmental monitoring duties' at work so I might put leave a few scatter plates in the khazi area to measure effective range 😉

Del

think you'll find the phenomena of 'shiterature' quite widespread. as it goes i have roger mellie's profanosaurus 'on the go' at the mo. 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

the race would never have survived the era before hygiene was invented if we were so fragile!

trouble is (partly) that our environment has become so aseptic, and exposure to commensal bacteria so limited, that we are already fragile in a microbiological context.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘People who leave reading material in the toilet/bathroom’ is closed to new replies.