Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • People who have never ridden a bicycle
  • Pickers

I have a very good friend, known him for many years now. Doesn’t ride a bike – like a lot of people – but chatting recently he said he’d never ridden a bike. Ever. Not even as a kid.
    Just can’t imagine that.

Kevevs
    Free Member

people are different.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Pickers – Member
    I have a very good friend, known him for many years now. Doesn’t ride a bike – like a lot of people – but chatting recently he said he’d never ridden a bike. Ever. Not even as a kid.
    Just can’t imagine that.

What’s his username on here?

mrmo
    Free Member

wouldn’t surprise me that more and more kids have never ridden a bike, there is a perception that the world is a more dangerous place than it once was.

Kevevs
    Free Member

😀 @ Ron

colournoise

I’m with mrmo. Very few (proportionately) of the kids at my school ride to school – probably about 75, and the number of students I can chat to ‘seriously’ about bikes I can count on the fingers of one hand. We have just under 900 students on roll.

slainte 😕 rob

Rorschach
    Free Member

Go to Llandegla in the morning….look for people stood next to Audis with orange 5’s (this is a wild generalisation based on the fact every time I see them they are pushing the bloody things).

Kevevs
    Free Member

when I was a kid I always wanted to ride my bike to school, and they had a place to lock ’em. It always felt wrong like I was breaking a law or something? like it was a bad thing to do. I don’t know why. Is it the same way now?

llamaknob
    Free Member

What’s his username on here?

hahahhahha….:)@Ron

mintimperial

“People”? Aren’t non-cyclists technically a sort of beetle or something?

I always wanted to ride my bike to school, and they had a place to lock ’em. It always felt wrong like I was breaking a law or something? like it was a bad thing to do.

Same here. It was definitely frowned upon, you were supposed to get the bus so they could keep an eye on you. I did actually get bollocked by a teacher for riding in a couple of times but I was old and stroppy enough to just ignore them by that point. Rock’n’roll.

I also got bollocked for getting doored, by the bloke who doored me. I learned a lot about human nature from cycling to school. Mostly that non-cyclists are technically a sort of beetle…

garage-dweller

I taught my ex wife how to ride a bike at 25.

Current and very much permanent Mrs Dweller had not got on a bike for ten years before we net. Warehouse clearance deal from a much maligned mail order company fixed that.

rOcKeTdOg

i rode to school*

*on a raleigh chopper*

*when they originally came out 😯

maccruiskeen

Go to Llandegla in the morning….look for people stood next to Audis with orange 5’s (this is a wild generalisation based on the fact every time I see them they are pushing the bloody things).

Are Audis really that unreliable? 🙂

antigee

back in the 1960’s !! my mum decided that traffic was getting a bit too much so my older sister and brother continued to ride to school but me and my younger sister never got to – or got bikes – despite being able to afford a car and holidays and mecanno and train sets
    i think my sister has still never ridden a bike
    your mum your dad they f@@@ you up

Innes
    Free Member

My son’s friend can’t ride a bike and doesn’t seem bothered. They are nearly 12.

My son loves cycling, we go mountain biking together, he wants to cycle when he can, rides a unicycle, is really looking forward to be going to Fort William again to watch the World Cup.

Can’t help thinking his friend is really losing out. I used to spend most of my time at that age on a bike, how else were we meant to get about?

tarquin
    Free Member

And when I went to school, loads of people rode their bikes in and nobody locked them up! This was late 90s.

Of a school of 500 approx I would guess 200 rode bikes to school, 50 or so walked, 50 got taxi’d by parents and the rest caught the buses.

Innes
    Free Member

Now it would be 400 taxied by Parents.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Can’t help thinking his friend is really losing out. I used to spend most of my time at that age on a bike, how else were we meant to get about?

Losing out on something you like though, he may love football for example and his dad takes him to games, perhaps you dont do that He may think your son is missing out.

Everyone’s different. Each to their own.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have the misfortune of picking my niece’s from school once a week. I wouldn’t want to cycle round there, it’s a god dam jungle!!

Shame as they have the weather for it over here in Oz

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s sad they’ve never ridden a bicycle, but it is sad they haven’t watched bmx bandits then gone out and done a properly good skid on their bike.

Pickers

My lad loved football above pretty much everything else, not at all into bikes but rode his bike to the playing fields to play footie, rode his bike to go see his mates. Used the bike to gain that sense of independence and not have a parent ferry him everywhere. That’s what kids miss out on by not riding.

PMK2060

i never learnt to ride a bike until i was 30. my parents were anti bikes due to a bad accident my older brother had.

i decided to learn when my son was 3 because i wanted to make sure he did not miss out.

i cycle a lot now but still feel i missed out as a child.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘People who have never ridden a bicycle’ is closed to new replies.