Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • People, in general, will only offer advice when…
  • donsimon
    Free Member

… it makes them looks smart and not when it’s for the greater good.
    True or false?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I dunno, but I’d recommend you don’t start such pointless threads in the future.

RealMan
    Free Member
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

False. I think most are just trying to help.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think people like offering advice because they like to share knowledge with people, knowledge is fun to share. Another reason to offer advice is to quash internet nonsense about things that’s far too common.

MSP

PP+1

But the thing with the internet is the proliferation of bad and ill informed advice given.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i don’t offer advice to anyone who hasn’t earned it via sexual favours.

wwaswas

There was a quote from and MOD official during the Falklands war about how Canada reacted, which might also apply;

“They’ve offered every possible assistance short of actual help.”

maccruiskeen

i don’t offer advice to anyone who hasn’t earned it via sexual favours.

and that can only be for the greater good

Duggan

The thing about advice is that most people often know what the correct thing to do is…they just don’t really want to do it

coffeeking
    Free Member

The thing about advice is that most people often know what the correct thing to do is…they just don’t really want to do it

I find myself doing that fairly often – I know the correct way forward, I just don’t want to go down that route. Funny and illogical.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

False.

I offer advice because when I do I’m sharing something I have (i.e. knowledge) that can help someone.

How someone takes that advice is more a reflection of them than of me.

althepal

I only offer advice when it’s something I feel I know about and am able to help out with. Have been tempted just to google and then comment about something but always try to avoid this in an advice req type context..
    Guessing there are folk who do tho.

CaptJon
    Free Member

The motive isn’t the important thing, it is the expertise/experience that makes advice worthwhile. People spouting on about stuff they don’t know makes no sense.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m of the opinion that 90% of advice given is truthful and meant as good advice.
    Most people on this ere’ planet are honourable, good willed and helpful.

molgrips
    Free Member

False.

LoCo
    Free Member

False, ‘here to help’ 😕 😉 😀

fadda

I sometimes don’t advise/comment if I think I may get flamed…

Junkyard
    Free Member

i get paid to do it- where do i fit in?
    Qualifications and everything but will you people listen to the voice of an expert 😉

djglover
    Free Member

My advice, stop being so cynical. 😉

kevj
    Free Member

A lecturer of mine used to say he never gives out advice for free (Industry related – Civil & Structural) because when you do people will have their own opinion and disregard what you tell them. However, when you charge them money, they are more likely to listen. I have found this to be very true when helping out.

donsimon
    Free Member

i get paid to do it- where do i fit in?

Mercenary! (But secretly I admire your style).
    I’m not just talking about here either, although it can apply here too, but in general.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘People, in general, will only offer advice when…’ is closed to new replies.