Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Pentlands – dark, wet, windy and cold. YAY! this weeks wheeled ramble.
  • ojom
    Free Member

Who is coming out to play this week?

3 sets of lights available too. 1st come 1st served etc

robgarrioch

Probably me, with pwn lights. Guess it'll be sticking to main paths, as sheltered as poss. Nipping out for an hour tonight too, which may or may not help a route plan.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I ain't playing! I was told last week that somone on one of these rides had referred to me as a bossy old man or something like

Bat ball and away!
    .Actually I am working night shift 🙁

Northwind

Might be… Kind of depends on exactly how manky it looks.

househusband

I suspect I'll be drinking heavily tomorrow night after demonstrating to the Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Education how awful my teaching is…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Drunk in charge of a bike, nice one HH.

robgarrioch

Darkness = rohipnol hip flask…

ojom
    Free Member

why are hipflasks the most elusive things in the world. everytime i have one i lose it.

pah.

ton

mark………….i got a nice surly one if you want it????

Kit
    Free Member

Maybe aye, maybe no, depends on how the date goes…

druidh
    Free Member

It goes from 14 to 15 in about 24 minutes time

ojom
    Free Member

ton -got some in the shoppe anyway. will get one of them i reckon. Need to tap up menmuir for some recipes now.
    Thanks though.

stanfree
    Free Member

Ill be sitting on my train on the Bathgate to Airdrie line , though to be honest would have probably wimped out with this weather anyway. 😳
    Nights next week as well , the railway sucks. 🙁

daveb
    Free Member

I will be coming along, see whoever else is out at Bonaly shop – 7pm

ojom
    Free Member

no racing from you Mr B. The lack of ambition and and effort displayed are the hallmarks of a good night ride in the pentlands.

daveb
    Free Member

Nope, will be bringing heavy bike, with flats as its the only one that is currently working (just). Looking forward to a nice easy going ride tonight 🙂

coastkid
    Free Member

got some virus.bug lergy thing 😥
    home fi work lunchtime, looks like off work rest of week… :mrgreen:
    have fun!

Northwind

Ironically the weather's lovely but I'm not going to make it anyway. I bet next week it'll be snowing.

househusband

Just opened the second of six bottles of Corona Extra, so nae chance!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

What a great night for a ride 😡

robgarrioch

What a great night for a ride

Very correct, pity my route planning didn't take enough account of the creeping dark… Must learn "daytime bravado is not appropriate at night". Thanks for suppressing laughs at my front-drop, bar-vault over that log; whatya reckon, an 8.0 for style? Good on youse for keeping up senses of humour.

Commiserations to Sharki for the chain snap, hope you can come out again whence a (slightly) more friendly route may be found.

Northwind

Where did you end up going?

robgarrioch

Andy – planned a low level, woods route as presumed it'd be a bit blowy higher up… We went for it despite the dying winds for a change; across to east side white hill, sharp climb to the top and a wee play on the dh bits, up puke to the 1st gate, through trees on the right, down + along through Clubbiedean, Poets + back via some track I'd never seen before. Ok route if the weather demands it.

sharki
    Free Member

Good to meet you all tonight. Damn my powerful thighs/weak chain.

Turns out once you've picked up the 'water of leith' path, it's pretty much flat all the way back to town, there's a couple of shorts bits with enabled me to not walk.

I got in about 20mins ago and surprisingly found my way ok.

Shame to not been able to carry on with the ride, but thurs, fri, sat and maybe sunday at GT and inners should be enough make up for it.

ojom
    Free Member

Heh. All that SS is less maintenance stuff…. 😀

Thanks for a good route Rob – quite enjoyed it albeit shorter than normal.

It did get dark quickly didn't it!

RRD
    Free Member

Very Jealous

Now down south and really missing the Pentlands… Dark, wet, windy and cold they maybe but at least they are reasonable hills to ride from home. It's pretty flat down here, a fair drive to some hillier areas and apparently you're not meant to ride on a footpath!

Richie

sharki
    Free Member

I've not maintained it in over a year, in my book that's less maintenance.

druidh
    Free Member

Sorry about the delays tonight guys. Sometimes you just aren't with it.

As for the route selection…..

daveb
    Free Member

Good to meet some new people last night. Route was fine if a bit short, easy enough to extend though 🙂

Shame about the chain snap, although no maintenance in over a year may explain that 😉

ojom
    Free Member

It involved at least a decent DH, forgot how slippy that bit can be off Nibbler – and it was dry.

Loved the Robin dismount. It was one of those… ' this will end badly ' approaches to a jump.

robgarrioch

approaches to a jump

Here, that's my standard approach to all features in the Rad zone… 🙂

(next time though, may plan the course of action before the point of no return… Might have a weekend recce up there with some clearance / high-lighting of features – determined to find a less manic, roll-y loop in there for night-riding good times)

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Pentlands – dark, wet, windy and cold. YAY! this weeks wheeled ramble.’ is closed to new replies.