• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by 7hz.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Pentlands – current conditions
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

Tried the Pentland commute this morning, first time for a couple of weeks. Maidens from Glencorse – I rode about 80% of the climb, the only unridable bit is the bottom 200m. Maidens down towards Harlaw – lots of drifted bits, only about 70% ridable. A real chore towards the end where the gradient isn’t there. From gate down Pistachio – a walk to the gate at the top of the woods. The main track is a river, woods OK.
    Poets and the WOL – ice rink but fun.

About 4cm of fresh snow on everything from Penicuik to Poets. Then slushy stuff into town.

The new gloves – sealskin winter – worked well. No cold fingers at all and totally waterproof (came off on the ice down Pisctachio and put my hand in a puddle). Didn’t feel too bulky, just need some real cold for a true test.

bigjim

Thanks for the update, was considering a night ride last night but wussed out, I love the snow but ice gives me the fear. Saw there was a fresh coat of white on them this morning too. My gf has those gloves and loves them, tempting to get a pair if it keeps up this cold much longer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta for update.

Do the gloves rely on a DWR?

I always prefer gloves that keep me warm when wet, I don’t trust anything that claims to be permanently waterproof!

chriswilk
    Free Member

Gloves use the porelle membrane layer.
    I reckon they’d also be warm when wet.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

nice to hear about the pentlands. hoping for an early morning birthday ride tomorrow! 🙂

7hz
    Free Member

Anyone got any idea what it is like over the Borestane track? Fancy a cold XC ride tomorrow but not sure if it’ll be 3 feet snow drifts still, or rock hard ice, or muddy nonsense! Or all 3…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Pentlands – current conditions’ is closed to new replies.