• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jhw.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Pentax Spotmatic – opinions?
  • jhw
    Free Member

After someone put a crampon straight through the light meter circuit board of my Pentax K1000 (the only electronic part no less), purely by coincidence someone’s been good enough to give me a 1966 Pentax Spotmatic they no longer have use for, together with a load of lenses…a couple of Pentax lenses and a couple of Carl Zeiss lenses. The Zeiss lenses have very cool “German Democratic Republic” written on them (a hammer and sickle would’ve been better but still).

Wondered if anyone else had used one of these cameras and what their experience was? A family member used to have one but the shutter mechanism died, apparently a common fault. Anything I should look out for?

Very lovely of the person in question to give this stuff to me – they’re her deceased husband’s, my only obligation is to develop his last roll of film, half-finished and still in the camera (from several years ago). People can be good huh.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

A lovely camera, solidly built and a bit of a classic IMO.

I don’t think they are a great deal different from the K1000 – just slightly older and simpler IIRC. My dad had both cameras when I was a kid and I *think* my brother still has the Spotmatic somewhere.

ski
    Free Member

Great camera, Spotmatic was m42 thread & K1000 was a bayonet, but both are great cameras, loads of cheap m42 lenes about second hand.

If the shutter is not used often and is left to sit, it can start to play up, will squelch as slower speeds and drag.

Look out for the last version SP1000

RustySpanner

I’ve got one, great piece of kit.

Bought from Jem at the Real Camera Centre in Manchester for £60.00 yonks ago.

Nice to use, simple, tough as old boots.
    Built to an amazingly high standard.

Used as a main camera for years, but the shutter needs work so it’s just a display piece at the mo.
    I’ll get it fixed when I retire!

ski
    Free Member

BTW, if its a black bodied & in mint condition, I know of two collectors that would pay very well for one 😉

jhw
    Free Member

Thanks for your opinion – good to have this context – loving the versatility of the M42 thread

I think also the meter works differently in the Spotmatic – is it true that the Spotmatic takes an average reading (despite being called a “Spotmatic”) whereas the K1000 has spot metering?

ski
    Free Member

I think also the meter works differently in the Spotmatic – is it true that the Spotmatic takes an average reading (despite being called a “Spotmatic”) whereas the K1000 has spot metering?

I dont think either had spot metering, central weighted only, which is not a bad thing

RustySpanner

Mines a black one, but so worn that the brass shows through!

Any good Ski?
    It’s definitely patina and not wear 😀

jhw
    Free Member

Silver unfortunately

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Pentax Spotmatic – opinions?’ is closed to new replies.