Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pension/provision for the future
  • Karinofnine

It’s time to choose benefit options at work. I was looking through projected growth for my pension – it’s a minus figure.

I read somewhere about buying twice as much tinned/dried food and keeping it, and eating it three years hence. It proposes that you replace as you go, and states that you would thus be eating at three-year-old prices. Would you? Not if you’re replacing at current prices surely?

I pondered this while out with the dog last night, it gave me a headache.

Over to you – can you save money this way? (Assuming no storage costs and ignoring the extra diesel used to carry the extra weight).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Do you eat much tinned or dried food….. If not then it becomes a moot point and thus saving you a head ache 🙂

Karinofnine

😆

I like tinned fish, pineapple, tomatoes, baked beans, rice pudding, sweetcorn.

I eat rice, lentils and beans.

Honey, jam, coffee, peanut butter in jars.

Soya milk and other products in cartons – not such a long storage life for those though.

The rest of my food is fresh fruit and veg so can only be bought within a few days of eating.

If it works I suppose you could extend it to toilet rolls/washing powder and the like – that sort of stuff has a very long shelf life. Plus, if there was a nuclear attack you would be prepared!

druidh
    Free Member

LOL

Basically, you’re going to buy three times as much food as you need for a year, store it, then keep buying at the normal rate. So – you’ll have invested the cost of 3 years worth of food. Then you’ll just be buying food at the going rate.

Why not put that amount of money into a bank or other investment vehicle and get some interest or return on your money instead?

Karinofnine

Because inflation is higher than interest rates. And you can get some good deals on food – eg at Costco. I don’t know, it just sort of appeals to me – crazy old cycling lady with a thousand tins of sardines in her garage 🙂 I already go around muttering to myself, all I need is to smell of wee, a moustache and to start smoking a pipe . . .

druidh
    Free Member

Current UK inflation rate is 2.8%. You can get 4% in a 3 year, fixed-rate bond.

chiefgrooveguru

When inflation went crazy high in the ’70s my grandparents bought vast amounts of toilet roll and Bristol Cream (amongst other things!) They only ran out of toilet roll in the ’90s! However inflation was much much higher then than it is now.

Karinofnine

Bristol Cream – I LOVE sherry, it wouldn’t last long with me, let’s just say I wouldn’t need to worry about exceeding the sell-by date.

So, 4% eh? I need to speak to the pension people then, because their illustration, which I got this week, states a negative gain. I don’t know anything about this kind of stuff but I reckon a -ve gain = a loss. They are coming to work on Tuesday. I’ll ask.

teef
    Free Member

Current UK inflation rate is 2.8%

As measured by the Government – does anybody seriously believe this figure? Real inflation is at least double this.

chewkw
    Free Member

Some of my dried / tinned food have been in my cupboard for 10 years … just ate some … tasted fine especially those tinned Sainsbury chilli anchovy in oil. Think I bought the whole box when they were selling them dirt cheap because nobody how to eat anchovy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pension/provision for the future’ is closed to new replies.