Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Penhydd trail opens today!
  • crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I remember the original, and fully accept fireroad climbs are inevitable as building singletrack is so labour-intensive, my point being this seems to have more fireroad and less S/T than the original and I’d expect trails to improve with build/design experience.

My understanding is that the new trails are designed with newer riders in mind

We rode the red route, which by definition should be for riders with some experience (the techier sections of Wall and Whites are graded red).

The Wall is IMHO a terrific trail, and it has improved over time (with the addition of elevator, alpha, omega etc). Penhydd is worse than the original. A bit of a disappointment after years of wait.

Northwind

The thing to remember when talking about “Rowanning” is that it’s not a straight choice- machine built jumps-and-pumps trail is cheaper and faster to build, and generally lower maintenance when done well. So what you end up comparing isn’t a mile of machine built with a mile of lovely handcut, it’s a mile of machine built with much less handcut. Often what that really means is a choice between building a trail, and not.

I like a bit of rollercoaster from time to time, prefer “natural-ish” but being pragmatic I’d rather have a bmx track than no track.

andyrm
    Free Member

I’d venture that perhaps riding is changing too……. “Technical XC climbing” seems a bit old hat in these times of AM & Enduro – bikes are now becoming DH bikes that can climb, rather than XC bikes that can descend. Fireroad climbs leading up to technical descents is probably the way forward I reckon.

ahwiles
    Free Member

andyrm – Member

Fireroad climbs leading up to technical descents is probably the way forward I reckon.

please, no.

mrmo
    Free Member

I like a bit of rollercoaster from time to time, prefer “natural-ish” but being pragmatic I’d rather have a bmx track than no track.

This is where I differ, I see trail centres as a better drain alternative for the winter, I am very much old school in the way I ride.

Given the choice of travel to a rowanised track or road ride or muddy bridleway, i’ll stick with the road.

I’d venture that perhaps riding is changing too……. “Technical XC climbing” seems a bit old hat in these times of AM & Enduro – bikes are now becoming DH bikes that can climb, rather than XC bikes that can descend. Fireroad climbs leading up to technical descents is probably the way forward I reckon.

I have spoken to a few people I know about this and I think those who were there in the early days were cyclists looking to ride off road. So things like fitness mattered, climbs were one part of the ride. It seems to have swung a long way now, and yes in the UK at least riding, as in pedalling, seems to no longer be the point, if that makes sense. I am talking the average rider, at the top in all forms of cycle sport fitness matters.

andyrm
    Free Member

I have spoken to a few people I know about this and I think those who were there in the early days were cyclists looking to ride off road. So things like fitness mattered, climbs were one part of the ride. It seems to have swung a long way now, and yes in the UK at least riding, as in pedalling, seems to no longer be the point, if that makes sense. I am talking the average rider, at the top in all forms of cycle sport fitness matters.

Most of the climbing at a SuperEnduro is road based – so you need to be fit to get up a long old climb on a big bike, but you’re not timed. The Enduro format recognises a shift in mindset where a climb is just something that has to get done, rather than of any value in the ride.

molgrips
    Free Member

Plenty of natural trails there for those that want them. Trail centres can provide fast smooth swoopy stuff – tricky rocky stuff is out there in the hills.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

It wasn’t the weather for natural trails, I’m a +1 for trail centres being weatherproof options, not some limited/sterilised take on one sub genre of riding. There’s lots of great trail centre rides in Wales, its just that Penhydd isn’t one of them.

My Alpine 160 with bombers, coil forks and a smattering of Saint probably fits the Enduro bike bill, didnt think I was unusual (and other posts suggest I’m not) in finding Techy climbs rewarding and part of riding. You don’t need a 22lb 80mm-travel whippet to be able to climb, or enjoy it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d far rather techie climbs than miles of steady smooth switchbacks, like Whyte’s.

Cwmcarn >> Whites.

loddrik
    Free Member

One of my old favourite trails ruined by yet more smooth surfacing. At least it solves the ‘what tyres for Penhydd?’ questions.

Slicks of course.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Cool. Seems ideal for a visit with the HT next month.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Penhydd trail opens today!’ is closed to new replies.