Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Penetrating oil – rusted bolts
  • Juicy_plum
    Free Member

What penetrating oil do you recommend for freeing rusted parts? WD40 is next to useless and I can't get any heat to the parts which are frozen.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Plusgas.

Juicy_plum
    Free Member

slw

Any idea on availability, e.g. should I be able to get it at my local motor factors?

Trekster
    Trekster

any motor factor, agri engineering or bearing agent(BSL)will have a brand of release agent, even Halfords.

Juicy_plum
    Free Member

Thanks Trekster, but which is best?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

it won't really matter which one you use, just use lots of it.

is the top of the thread visible/open for the stuff to get in there? Scrape off any rust you can with wire brush/tools to allow the penetrating oil to get in there.

If it's a vertical bolt/nut then you can build a ring of bluetak around the top to form a cup so you can fill it with the penetrating oil and leave it to soak in to the threaded section for a few hours rather than it running off.

Juicy_plum
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses.

Trekster

They are both good.
    We use Swantek at work(NB the Excellent acknowledgment on home page)
    http://www.swantek.com/html/frames.htm
    Soak, leave for 1/2hr and hey presto!!

All depends how rusty and what size your bolts/nuts, grade of steel are, sometimes nothing works unfortunately.

carrotcake
    Free Member

I've been using a product made by Wurth called 'Rost off ice'.

It is a release oil that has a freezing agent in it. When you spray it on it chills the bolt in order to shrink it a little. The idea is that this creates gap for the oil to penetrate the seized thread. It smells like the deep heat spray that footballers use.

Rost off

There are folks selling it on Ebay for less. It has been successful in releasing 95% of the seized fittings I've used it on in the last ten years or so. Like previously mentioned, sometimes it is just a lost cause.

KT1973
    Free Member

If you can get your part into a bucket, then use diesel or even petrol- just be carefull

Trekster

KT1973 – Member

If you can get your part into a bucket, then use diesel or even petrol- just be carefull
    Good old fashioned farmers trick 😀

Like the sound of carrotcakes stuff(linky no worky, goes to amazon?)

Northwind

Plusgas is great. It actually does what people think WD40 does, but doesn't. I've had a little success over the years with my stupidly powerful soldering gun- useless for soldering but it puts a fair amount of localised heat on, OK for small bolts. Freeze spray/chewing gum remover can sometimes he useful too.

Macavity
    Free Member

As well as Wurth Rost Off there is
    Loctite Freeze and Release http://loctitefreezeandrelease.com/

Ambersil Rust Flash
    etc

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Penetrating oil – rusted bolts’ is closed to new replies.