• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Rik.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Pembroke riding advice
  • Rik
    Free Member

Thinking of going to Pembroke for a long bank holiday weekend and I was wondering if anybody had any route advice in the area. Classics of the area etc.
    I've got the vertebrae graphics book of Wales but only one ride listed in the area, at it's 40+km which is a bit far for my girlfriend.
    Any other advice e.g. Good campsites , walks, pubs etc would be greatly appreciated as it my first time there.

Cheers in advance

ourmaninthenorth

Pembs is beautiful. It confuses the hell out of the English – they spend so much time deriding Wales, they don't realise how ace it can be.

But the MTBing is pretty non-existent. Road riding is ace. There was a thread the other day about St Davids that had some good advice on it.

Enjoy your hols.

EDIT: Search "pembrokeshire" on here, and there's a thread about riding near Newport.

Rik
    Free Member

Might just take the bikes and ride a trail centre on the way down and on the way back and walk and climb while actually in Pembroke itself. Off to buy a map at dinner.

Recommendation for the good bits?

Any recommendations for a good campsite near to the good bits??

Thinking nice basic small campsite – tap, toilet and field type rather than the caravan mega sites.

geoffj

St Davids is a great little base.
    Caerfai Campsite (http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=5274) is the best in the area IMHO.

Food
    1. Farmers Arms in St Davids os good for classic pub food, best enjoyed on the terrace at the back.
    2. CWtch in St Davids is very good
    3. The Bench is very average – service is shite IMHO. Good Ice cream though.
    4. Pharmacy in Solva is good.
    5. Refectory at the Cathedral is pretty good and a nice quirky dining room.
    6. The Sloop at Porthgain is Good, but The Shed is very good – excellent seafood.
    The best breakfast and coffee is at Jones.
    The Pebbles Cafe is poor, but the gift shop is OK for higher end tatt.

ToDo
    Tourist Information in St David's should be your first stop
    Walk the coast path
    Beaches – Caerfai is my favourite
    Cathedral – worth an hour of anyone's time
    Walk from Abereiddy to Porthgain – Sloop and back again is a nice way to spend an afternoon.
    If you are feeling energetic, coastearing is the local adrenaline sport of choice (TYF do guided trips)

HTH

Rik
    Free Member

Excellent advice – I've just booked 3 nights in that campsite looks ace.

Thinking a boat trip to Ramsay might be on the cards too, just got to hope for some nice weather.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Pembroke riding advice’ is closed to new replies.