Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Pedals. Think of changing, but what to?
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Having had yet another set of Eggbeaters collapse on me last night, I'm seriously considering changing to something else.

Currently (ab)using Eggy SLs & like them except for the fact you get about 100yds notice of a ickle bit of play to full on disintigration.

So, what's the current in favour 'Britain Proof' pedal?

Thanks

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

520/540 SPDs are virtully indestructable, but not that good to use in mud.

How much luuuurve do you give your Eggbeaters though? They don't need that much attention, just keep on top of it I find. 🙂

aP
    Free Member

Time.
    (edit) still using a set I bought at the uk launch in 96. In over 10 years of using them, with use for several seasons of cx, commuting everyday, touring, tandeming, mtb-ing and with road versions as well and with probably 20 pairs of Time pedals we've had one pair fail through a bearing problem (although that was in 98)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Crank bros mallets. really good pedals, and are still very grippy using trainers, if you get to a trail centre 65 miles away only to discover you haven't packed your spd shoes!.

Not that I have ever done that, mind…….

FuzzyWuzzy

I've always ended up going back to Shimano, running XT and XTR atm (XT seems fine…).

dano
    Free Member

yes its about 8:16am…

I go for bog standard shimano's… cost £30ish and go for up to 5 years…

uplink
    Free Member

Crank bros mallets. really good pedals

'Crank Bros' & 'really good' are not often heard in the same sentence 🙂

Anyway – FWIW, Time is the answer you've been looking for, they just work & keep on working

sockpuppet

time

feel like eggbeaters, right up until the point where the time pedals just continue to work for long periods

2pure
    Free Member

Hi there cheesyfeet,

Sorry to hear about the problems with your egg beaters. Please drop us a line to info@2pure.co.uk we can arrange a return for you.

Cheers
    ran

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

i switched from mallets (after they practically needed a rebuild after every ride) to Time. Really like them. Only downside is they are quite stiff to clip out of in comparision to the mallets.

kiwijohn

Time, my Z Controls are on their third bike.

br
    Free Member

Two pairs of 540's that I've had for 3 years – only just re-greased one pair, and now the others have play so need doing – coincidence or what?

There was a recent article in one of the monthly mags on stripping and re-greasing Shimano spd's – doesn't really give you the full story of just how small the ball bearings are… But an easy job all the same.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There was a recent article in one of the monthly mags on stripping and re-greasing Shimano spd's – doesn't really give you the full story of just how small the ball bearings are… But an easy job all the same.

But you never, ever, ever need to take the bearings out anyway….

Remove axle, adjust cones to remove any play, fill pedal body with grease, screw axle back in. New grease forces old grease out as you screw the axle back in. Job done. No cleaning or further disassembly required.
    🙂

cookeaa

I’ve only been using Devil pedals for a couple of years, my initial choice was to default to Shimano, “industry standard” Cheap functional and pretty durable, having heard various stories about CB pedals I decided to steer well clear, Glad I did…

Using bottom end again here M520 and M424:
    Not too bad in mud, it actually makes more difference if you can keep the shoe sole/cleats clear I find, I also try to keep the pedal bodies clear-ish by spraying a bit of silicone on them post cleaning, although this only really lasts a few miles…

I Would consider the M540s but I’m a budget led kind of fella so wil probably stick to M520s.

For XC I have to say Ritchey WCS Mountain V4 are my wish list pedals, silly money, spanky finish, totally unnecessary, probably total gash…
    I’d quite like some M647s for my trail bike maybe, but I’m a wrongle and actually like the resin caged SPDs…

A friend of mine once pointed out that given the differences in weight/price/function between the M520 and just about every pedal above it in the shimano range you may as well get them and spend the difference on lighter stiffer shoes as that would make a greater impact on your pedalling:
    M520 ~ £20 – weigh 415g while M770 ~ £50 – weigh 352g, that extra £30 could probably save you much more than 73g if spent on shoes…

But yep Shimano FTW…

carlphillips
    Free Member

had issues with my candy sl's, frequently unclipping (generally in mid air) to the point where i changed them for time atacs (which fell apart) now on shimano xt's (dunno number) but they've lasted for a few years now no servicing and smooth as when i 1st got them still, so its +1 for shitmano from me.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Shimano DX's, apart from the front mech, this is the only Shitmano on the bike, and they aren't made of cheddar.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Kudos to 2Pure for popping up on here, always good to see bike industry types trying to sort things out!

However…

Time are the only pedals you'll ever need. Am running Z-Controls on the big bike and ATACs of various format on the XC and road bikes. Flawless pedals.

Only ever seen one problem with them, which was someone managing to smash half a cage of their Z-Controls. It was a BIG crash, pedal cage broke away in part but the bearings and pedal still work perfectly.

crazy-legs

Shimano SPDs every time for me, they're bombproof, light(ish) and super-reliable. The only problems I've ever had with them is clipping in in heavy snow/ice but given that that happens once a year at most I can live with that.
    My XTR's lasted 6 years before finally dying. I'm still using a set of SPD-R's on my commuter bike, they just keep on working. The limiting factor on that is my old shoes with the SPD-R cleat on – when the shoes die I'll have to get new pedals.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

I switched to times after killing three sets if eggs if various types, got them on three bikes and they've been flawless, cleat life has been very good too

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Time ATACs. Work and last for ages. If you dont want to spend much then get the cheap alium ones, or you can spend a fortune on lighter ones.

I would probably use standard cheap shimano ones though if i didnt have random knees that really appreciate the side to side movement and lots of float that the atacs give. They are also excellent in sticky mud. The only real engagement problem i have had in 10+ years of using them was with snow which had packed around the cleat to form hard ice. It cleared after a couple of stomps though.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

But you never, ever, ever need to take the bearings out anyway….

You do when those little bearings split in half, which has happened twice to me.

Shimano XTR/959s for me everytime.

GreenK
    Free Member

Another vote for Time ATACs. I have had two pairs for three years and they have been (so far) maintenance free apart from a dab of oil on the spring once in a while.

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Time. The only pedals that work reliably all year round. I also prefer the engagement and float over alternatives. I have a couple of sets that have been used since around 1998, still going strong, virtually maintainance free. (Funnily enough, there's a pattern emerging to these responses)

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Shimano, as with a lot of components they just work with no messing where other makes don't. The number of times they get clogged up to the point of being a problem is so small it's not worth mentioning IME.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Another vote for Times.

I have the same set up as Captainflasheart with Z-Controls on my big bike and various Atac on all the others. I agree with Dirtygirl that they take a bit of getting used to as the clip in/out is not as 'positive' as with SPD fixings, but once you get used to them they are great. No longer have issues with the pedals clogging up with mud or ice, plenty of float and great longevity.

llamafarmer
    Free Member

Another +1 for Times here. I'm using Z Controls at the moment but will be getting some ATACS eventually to shave a bit of weight 😉

They've had about 8 months of British filth and a lot of pedal strikes, but they still feel spot on with no maintenance at all. My knees appreciate the extra bit of float too.

allankelly

I really like my CBs, but I too have had them spontaneously disintegrate. Kudos to 2Pure who replaced them with a better model!

2Pure: What is it that goes wrong? I think it's the outer bushing that's not a bearing. Is there any way to tell they're about to go? Why don't CB change the design to be inner + outer bearings? Would cost more, would avoid this bad press.

PSA: If anyone wants to give CB pedals a go, CRC have Smarties for £16 just now. I just bought a(nother) set just because I need cleats and buying pedals (inc cleats) is cheaper than buying cleats!

Cheers, al.

FOG

I'll go with the Shimano set but I definitely don't think they last as long as in previous days. I have a set I bought in 1995 that are a bit clunky but still OK for the hack whilst a pair of 520s bought 2 years ago have just expired. The problem with changing pedals is having to buy matching cleats for the rest of shoe wardrobe!

Olly
    Free Member

shimano 520s.

have replaced my light as hell Xpedos with 520s, as, although they are quite a bit porkier, they are indestructable.
    weapons grade 😀

wouldnt touch crankbros with a 10ft pooey stick myself.
    every pair ive known of has gone wrong or fallen apart.

t-p26
    Free Member

ATACs, Z-controls on my bikes

jockhaggis
    Free Member

I'll jump on the bandwaggon here. Z-controls and ATACs used on varying bikes. Can't beat them.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Pedals. Think of changing, but what to?’ is closed to new replies.