Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Pedals that last longer than DX spd
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Morning all,

Loads of play in a DX pedal and I reckon it’s only done about 1000 miles. Not the first time.ive had this happen with a set!

Are the xt/xtr trail pedals any better?

I know you can service them, but can’t be bothered with pedals that need stripping and rebuilding every month or two?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Original DX.

Immortal.

DickBarton

If you are doing that kind of mileage in a month or 2 then it won’t just be your pedals needing some servicing – and given the mileage in that timeframe, that doesn’t sound unreasonable as that volume of mileage is reasonable.

Have they been serviced already or are they new and now needing done? I suspect the volume of grease in them from brand new isn’t as much as they could have, so making sure they are filled will certainly see them last far longer.

If you can’t be bothered servicing kit then your maintenance bills are going to be rather high and your spares drawer is going to grow massively, spending the 15 minutes (if that), refilling with grease will see them last much longer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

CB Mallet DH, better in every single way and 100% rebuildable in under 15 mins when bearings/bushings need changed. I get 1-2 years easy out of a set of bearings.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve never serviced a pair of Time pedals.
    I’ve never worn out a pair of Time pedals.
    I only use Time as my clipless pedals.
    One pair is around ten years old now.

Make of that what you will.

chilled76
    Free Member

If you are doing that kind of mileage in a month or 2 then it won’t just be your pedals needing some servicing

Thanks for that. Really helpful.

Spent a whole day doing maintenance on 4 bikes 2 weeks ago. Swapping a bottom bracket today. Bled a set of brakes mid week.

Servicing pedals is one job too much, hence my original question about if the xt ones last longer than DX?

Euro
    Free Member

Original DX.

ahem…

nickdavies

IME yes they do, ive got about 4 pairs of xt pedals and the oldest fell apart after about 3 years. Tend to wear out the clips before bearings.

I’d look at nuke proof though, I’ve switched to horizons on the big bike as I wanted a bigger cage than dx and I’m really impressed, still use shimano cleats so they work on the other bikes with the same shoes.

chilled76
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll look at nukeproof, anyone else experienced xt lasting longer?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve never serviced a pair of Time pedals.
    I’ve never worn out a pair of Time pedals.
    I only use Time as my clipless pedals.
    One pair is around ten years old now.

Make of that what you will.

Like me then, you dodged the shoddy QC bullet of Times from recent years, my ATAC XS Carbons are still going strong. 8)

andytherocketeer

PD-M520 – was a thread about them the other day – should survive the imminent nuclear holocaust.

anyone else experienced xt lasting longer?

dunno, I’m only up to 10 years on my XT SPD across 2 bikes, and are near perfect. the M520’s on the other bike were a better deal though.

never opened either of those up, and never regreased.

edit: oh and for ones with platform cages, M545. Lasted forever, until I did service them (didn’t need it, just had that urge to take them apart). Busted seals putting them back together. I’d wager they’d be perfect after 15 years.

sillyoldman

Just adjust the bearing preload – really quick and simple. You need a tool to remove the axle assembly dip from the pedal body to do it, but really quick to do, and much less wasteful and expensive than replacing bearings and bushings in other pedals.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Pedals that last longer than DX spd’ is closed to new replies.