Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Pedals that are flats one side and SPD on the other side. Choices?
  • cokie

I’m looking for some pedals that are flat on one side and SPD on the other side.
    I’ve got bikes that I’d like to use flats on on some days and SPDs on other days. It doesn’t make sense to swap pedals as this will wear out the threads.

So far I’ve found Funn Mambas which are spot on but a little expensive.

Does anyone else make this type of pedal?

porlus
    Free Member

Just got some wellgo ones. Forgot the product code though. Come in black or grey. Work really well.

Edit. Its these. They do have pins on the other side

http://en.wellgopedal.com/products_detail_7_274.htm

Shimano M324 (I have a pair, feel well made but might not be suitable for trails) Circa £25.

Shimano PD-T420 Click’R (£35, also PD-T400 £25)

Shimano PD-T780 XT ‘Trekking’ pedals (£45)

Dunno if these have the spikey grippiness you require from flats.

richardthird

They’re all a bit rubbish really. Just swap them as and when.

jam-bo

It doesn’t make sense to swap pedals as this will wear out the threads.

really?

cokie

Thanks for suggestions. Sadly none of them will offer enough grip.

Jam bo- Yes, what do you think will happen when you swap pedals 104 times a year? Do you honestly think the threads will remain intact indefinitely? 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

perhaps the question is why do you need to swap as often?

brassneck

Shiman A520 on my Tripster

They are a bit crap to be honest, but I won’t admit that when I put them on the classifieds 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i know what you’re saying as i change my pedals probably 3-4 times a week, but i’m not sure on how those Funn pedals would work on the trail, like trying to find the appropriate side whilst riding without looking etc.

also, for the cost of them you could replace your cranks once or twice a year (depending on model) as i think it would be those threads that get a little dodgy rather than the ones on the pedals…? maybe?

jam-bo

Do you honestly think the threads will remain intact indefinitely?

if you aren’t a hamfisted monkey then yes.

but more importantly why do you need to change twice a week?

maybe run an spd on the left and flat on the right?

edit: used to be a compulsive pedal swapper depending on conditions. never trashed a pedal/crank thread. can’t be bothered now and just use flats.

colin9

Sounds like you need a second bike.

lunge

Sounds like you need a second bike.

This, n+1 is almost always the answer.

cokie

I like to ride both flats and SPDs. I don’t ride either exclusively. Having the option to use flats or SPDs depending on how I feel means that I can just pick the bike, pick the shoes and go. I don’t have to faff about changing pedals and wearing threads. An added advantage is that family/friends can grab a bike and go too.

I’m thinking of fitting these pedals to 3 bikes so a cheaper option would be ideal. N+1 always a applies though and £100 is 10% of a new bike.. so man maths suggests another bike is more cost effective.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Cokie I’ve been through this same thought process and bought some “hybrid” pedals. Instead of being the best of both worlds they were the worst of both worlds. I suppose that they might be handy on a winter hack/commuting/pub bike but – in my experience – for proper off-road mountain biking they were very poor. When I ride with flats the whole point is that I don’t want to have to think or worry about getting my foot on or off the pedal as quickly and easily as possible. Similarly clipping in is a faff off-road when you only have one side to clip into.

Don’t do it

scotroutes

+1

cokie

Thanks for the feedback guys 🙁 . Probably wont pursue the idea.

scotroutes
    wiggles
    Free Member

You won’t knacker the threads if done properly…

I have crap pedals in the workshop used for test rides which get fitted 3+ times a day all year round and they are fine.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Pedals that are flats one side and SPD on the other side. Choices?’ is closed to new replies.