Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • pedals: saint or superstar?
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

Looking for some new flats. Saints are on sale for 37 or superstar nano for the same price. Which are best?

edward2000
    Free Member

I use both. The saints are slightly more concave which I think make your feet feel a bit more secure. The superstar ones are good though too.

wiggles
    Free Member

Used both. Saint win.

cakefacesmallblock

Can’t comment on the Saints.
    Had Superstar Nano through pin ones now for a couple of months , ridden them for maybe 250 miles in all sorts of gloop. Very grippy and comfy with Teva Links.
    They replaced Gusset slim Jim’s, the ones with serviceable axles , which did me proud for about 5000 miles with no issues. If they last half as long I’ll be pleased.

chakaping
    Free Member

I preferred the Superstar ones.

gringo

Can’t comment on the Superstars but have the Saints and I really like them. A slightly bigger platform than my old V12’s and my feet feel very secure on them, especially with a pair of 5 10’s. I like the look of them too.

sharkattack

I’ve got Saints and have no complaints. They’re on a DH bike and get battered off rocks on a regular basis.

MSP

I didn’t like the saints much, replaced them with some straitlines, which are just far far superior, but also far far more expensive.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve got Nano Thru’s on my mountain bikes and I’ve been using them with Teva Links. They’ve been awesome and I love them. My mate had been using Nano’s and similar pedals (Fatty’s Flatties etc) and specced Saints on his new bike. He rates them highly – also citing slightly more concave as the win, but doesn’t think they’re better enough to upgrade to from Nano’s. I tried them with my Teva’s when I borrowed his bike and they were pretty much same old compared to my Nano’s. More recently I’ve started wearing a pair of 5:10’s thanks to Rutland’s insanity. I hopped on the same bike with the Saints wearing the 5:10’s instead of my older Teva’s and it was crazy how much better they felt compared to the Nano’s I’d been on minutes earlier.

So, rambling anecdote.

My findings are that 5:10’s and Saints are awesomer than 5:10’s and Nanos, but Nano’s still rock and footwear may be a factor.

Worth remembering that the washers need to come out of the pins and that there have been various outbreaks of self-destructing bearings in the Saints, while the Nano’s have just carried on doing what they do for years now…

cubemeup
    Free Member

iv had both, saints came off after one ride, even after potching taking all the washers off the spikes. worse pedals iv had

philwarren11
    Free Member

Used both. I like the bigger platform of the superstars for my bigger feet so if if i had to choose i’d go SS, if the price is the same. They’re both good so go with whatever is cheapest.

scruff
    Free Member

SS Delta’s for me and I have Saints and nanos aswell. Big platform, thinnish and feel slightly concaved, pins are long though, maybe a bit too long.

barffy
    Free Member

I’ve got both and I can categorically say get V12’s.

twohats
    Free Member

Saints would be a perfect pedal if the inboard bearings weren’t made from cheese!
    I’ve had 3 sets replaced under warranty in just over a year.
    I’m currently trying some Specialized Boomslangs out.

Big-M
    Free Member

@twohats, what do you think of the Boomslamgs..?

twohats
    Free Member

Initial impressions are good, better concave than the Saints and feel better under the foot. Be interesting to see how they hold up.

tomd
    Free Member

I had the Saints and liked them in use but they lasted <6months and got a warranty refund for them. They developed loads of play in the bushing and couldn’t be fixed. there’s reason they’re going cheap.

The Superstar ones are good and long lasting, I’ve got them on another bike.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

i got the superstar plastic jobbies when they were on offer for £14.99 and im glad I did, they are great pedals and cheap as chips 8)

cp

I prefer superstar nano’s to say DMR V8 which have a more pronounced concave ala Saint. Never tried Saint but my Nano’s a re brilliant. Orange too.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Can’t fault my Nano’s – I’ve got three sets. The grip is good, they seem to last well even in grim conditions, they’re light and cheap. They’re also the only pedal that I’ve not been able to rip pins out of unlike my old V12’s and Azonic A Frames.

A mate has Saints he’s had a few issues of squeaks and pedals undoing themselves.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Surely all the feedback from people should be accompanied by their foot size?

I’ve used V8/12 for ages, but tried a set of something bigger the other day and they felt much nicer and more secure. I have also noticed my feet seem to move around on the V12s more than I’d like.

Not sure what the others were though, sorry [on nach’s bike].

Feet: 10-11 [very wide forefoot]

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘pedals: saint or superstar?’ is closed to new replies.