Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pedals locking up
  • hallz
    Free Member

Over the last couple of rides my bike has started to develop an irritating problem. This started out as very occasional but is now occurring often enough for it to be a problem that needs sorting…

When i put increased pressure on the pedals and cycle hard, and more often than not, when changing gear, the pedals lock up tight. I tend to stop and then set off again and generally that sorts it – so nothing too scientific about the fix. Its all a tad painful though when clipped in!

Secondly and i dont know if its a related issue or something completely different, but when im pedalling, i can feel a little bit of play in the pedals. Not sure if i have accurately described the feeling, but its not 100% a smooth turn.

If its relevant, then im riding a Rockrider 8.2 with Truvativ Stylo 3.2 2-piece 22x32x44 chainset. SRAM X9 shifters. SRAM X9 front/rear derailleurs. SRAM PG950 11×32 9 speed cassette.

Any pointers would be appreciated although i think it may be off to the LBS shortly…

bland

Are you getting chain suck? i.e. the chain not releasing from the front chainring and sucking up and getting trapped between the rings and the frame?

If its not that then the freehub may be goosed?

I doubt your pedals are locking up

carlos
    Free Member

When you say the pedals lock up tight is it actually the pedal or because the chain has not released from the ring??

What pedals are you running, do they spin freely with a flick of the finger, can you push/pull the pedal on the spindle?

spooky_b329

I say chainsuck too. When the pedals lock up, if you mean the cranks lock, then yes, chainsuck. Try cleaning the drive train to begin with.

hallz
    Free Member

Sorry, slight bit of mis-information by me! Yes, the pedals themselves spin quite freely, its the cranks as a whole that are stick fast.

I noticed on one occassion this morning that the chain seemed to have pulled up and the description of chainsuck described above does seem to fit the bill.

I have cleaned the bike quite throughly over the last few weeks so im not sure that it is necessarily a dirt issue although it definately happens more once it becomes caked in mud etc on a ride out.

carlos
    Free Member

Ah, Defo chain suck then.

That’ll be a new replacement chainring at least

hallz
    Free Member

Many thanks – very helpful!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Most likely you will need a complete drive train

pinder318
    Free Member

Check your freehub. i have destroyed two hope xc rear hubs wen the freehubs caved in and then they jam against the axle does it free itself if u back pedal backwards and then carry on again?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pedals locking up’ is closed to new replies.