Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • pedals for road bike
  • thehustler
    Free Member

Sooo have always used mtb pedals/shoes on my road bike just for convenience really, but a pedal has just given up the ghost so time for some new. Question is would there be a noticable difference with road pedals/shoes or should i carry on with the mtb ones?

plumber
    Free Member

Had exactly this query yesterday

Best I could come up with was use M520s as per MTB

or

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/specialized-bg-sport-item168580.html

with road pedals

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I was using eggbeaters when i first got my road bike. Got pain in my feet which is a bit odd as they are the exact same pedals that I use on my mtb. Anyhow, switched to look keo pedals, and sidi shoes. Pain gone, never to return. So the difference for me was one of comfort and it was very noticeable, whether there is a performance difference I couldn’t say.

Still use eggbeaters on the mtb without issue though.

tracknicko
    Free Member

road.

more comfy over time.
    much more secure once in.
    stiffer, better power transfer.
    very definately ‘in’ feeling

mtb.

better for quick in and outs.
    poss better for commuting
    better when off the bike.

wwaswas

I used Eggbeaters/candys on mtb so got Quattros when I had a road bike to give me some choice of shoe use across all bikes.

Road shoes/cleats & pedals are ‘stiffer’ but have a far greater contact area so you don’t get hotspots on the sole of your foot.

Philby

IME there is a difference between a road and mountain bike pedals – I feel much more ‘connected’ with road bike pedals. Having said that there are plenty of people who use MTB pedals for road riding – its also cheaper having one pair of shoes for both bikes.

Haze

Road pedals and a dedicated pair of shoes.

Keep your dirty scruffy pair for the mountain bike 😉

fisha
    Free Member

i just use mtb spds across all my bikes … makes it easier to jump between then all without faffing over which shoes to put on.

thomthumb
    Free Member

makes it easier to jump between then all without faffing over which shoes to put on

i get my mum to help.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve recently switched from M520’s to SPD-SL’s on my road bike. Can’t really say I’ve noticed much of a difference, except the increased difficulty walking normally with the roadie shoes and cleats.

mudshark
    Free Member

I use Shimano SPD-SLs on my road bike but got some of these touring ones for the winter as they use mtb cleats which I wanted to use with my mtb winter boots, found them a good compromise. Will use them on my touring bike too.

Spd A520 Pedals

kevtoo
    Free Member

I’m on Crank Bros smarties on the road bike so I can stick with one pair of shoes for both bikes… They are basically Candies but with choice of coloured rails. Don’t make em any more but Winstanleys Cycles have some old stock. Cheap ish and relatively light.

fisha
    Free Member

i get my mum to help.

No need, mine have Velcro

daveh
    Free Member

road.
    more comfy over time.
    much more secure once in.
    stiffer, better power transfer.
    very definately ‘in’ feeling
    mtb.
    better for quick in and outs.
    poss better for commuting
    better when off the bike.

+1

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘pedals for road bike’ is closed to new replies.