Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Pedals: flats or spd
  • lee170
    Free Member

Just bought a mountain bike after being without one for the last year or so.
    What’s the deal with pedals?
    Everyone riding flats now?
    Seems to be the in thing at the min from the magazine articles.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

What ever is best for you 🙂 I’m an spd person keeps me connected to the bike

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Flat.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

You might as well ask “Tyres; Maxxis or Schwalbe?”…

lee170
    Free Member

I know it’s a very personal thing. Just getting a general sensus of majority really. I have spd’s and the new bike comes with flats, I’ll try both and see how I get on

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Time… used to use speedplay frogs but couldn’t afford two sets…

Cheers, Steve

ThePilot
    Free Member

I’m liking my new funn pedals which are spds with a large platform. Seem to offer the best of both worlds.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Learn to ride flats, once you’ve mastered them if you feel the need try clips. It’ll make you a better rider.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

most people on here ride roads bikes so SPDs all the way 🙂

lee170
    Free Member

I’m also a roadie, but I might try flats for a while and see how I get on

coogan
    Free Member

I commute on SPDs, but ride off road on flats. Used to SPD off road, but discovered I prefer flats. Neither is better, it’s just what feels better for you.

wordnumb
    Free Member

One of each, switching sides every fortnight.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Whatever suits you. I actually used to prefer SPD, but got pissed off with freezing feet in winter, and my dodgy knee didn’t like em too much either. On flats now, took a whole summer to get used to, but don’t notice them now.

It’s like saddles, a purely personal thing, no one is better than the other IMO.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I can’t use SPD’s because of my knees, but fine Time and or Speedplay frogs. Been using Time ATAC Z’s for a few years now, tried them as normal flats for a while and kept slipping off…

Cheers, Steve

nickclift
    Free Member

Be awesome – ride flats.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most people I see are clipped, Mallet dh for me with flat style spd shoes, had some foot out mildly average speed moments in some steep tech trails yesterday and just rode them as flats for a bit.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Pedals: flats or spd’ is closed to new replies.