• This topic has 51 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Pedaling problem after changing chain
  • cpper
    Free Member

Hello 🙂

I replaced my chain today and am now facing a problem. When I’m pedaling harder, it feel like the chain slips, or something close to that. When pushing my feet harder on the pedals, the crankarms move like 30° freely, with no force being transferred to the wheel.

The replaced chain is the same as the old one, KMC X10. I have shortened the new chain to the length of the old one. The cogs or chainrings are not worn. The bike is relatively new and I replaced the chain(this is the first time) when the wear was about 0.6%. Freehub is also ok. Before changing the chain everything worked just fine.

I tried to look at the rear wheel pedaling harder, and I noticed that the derailleur cage might be somehow moving when the problem happens.

simondbarnes

The cassette is worn

fifeandy
    Free Member

Check the quick link is done up properly, but it does sound like a worn cassette. Is it a mtb or road bike, and how many miles have you done on it?

cpper
    Free Member

It’s a MTB, I have about 4500km on it. I don’t think the cassete can be worn. It’s the first time I have to replace the chain, and as far as I know a cassette lasts more chains, if you change them when you should.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Errrrrr!!!

The cassette is worn then!!!!

4.5k!

shindiggy
    Free Member

I finding it difficult to believe that after 4500k the chain was only at 0.6%

fifeandy
    Free Member

Something is wrong with OP’s chain checker. Probably more like 2.6% after 4500km.

Varies slightly from person to person, but as a reference, i tend to get ~3000km from a chain on the road bike and ~1000km on the MTB.

I’d stick the old chain back on as after that far on one chain, chainrings are likely toast as well as cassette.

drewd

I recently changed my chain and experienced what you are describing. The cassette looked OK but fitting a new one resolved all the chain skipping issues.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Suck it up butter cup and get a new cassette. Or put the old chain back on and ride it into ground.?

Out of interest if you think it’s not the cassette then are you thinking the new chain is faulty.?

TheGingerOne

Not sure how the cassette can’t be worn after that!!! It is not something that is visible, it just will be.

leffeboy

Can’t wait until summer hols are over

cpper
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for chiming in.
    The chain checking was accurate, done with accurate ruler. 10 Links(pin to pin) measured 25.55 cm. I also applied pressure on the pedals when measuring.
    The chain and drivetrain parts were often cleaned and lubed with Finish line products.

FYI, I rode my old bike, which was an entry level Trek 3700, from 2010 to 2015 without changing the chain, chainrings or cassette(as far as I remember). The chain wasn’t slipping, and it shifted gears just fine. I did at least 8000km with it.

Here two pics with the cogs, do they look worn ?:

simondbarnes

Here two pics with the cogs, do they look worn ?:

Yes

imnotverygood

+1

nickdavies

Cassette is worn. If I was going to ride 4500km on one chain I’d just leave it on until the whole lot went pop. New chain will just slip whereas the old kit will have all worn together.

I’d probably have gone through 3 chains and be about ready to change the cassette by that kind of mileage.

spooky_b329

Cassette is worn, particularly 5th, 6th, 7th. You can see the valley between each tooth is elongated, and the ‘climb’ up to the next tooth is steeper than the other side, which is a dead giveaway.

cpper
    Free Member

Thanks guys. So ok, the cassette is worn.
    The bike was working very well before changing the chain, why should I replace the cassette instead of putting back the old chain ? This seems a bit illogical.

imnotverygood

I replaced my chain today

You know when you did this? The reason why you did this is the reason why you should just replace the cassette.

cpper
    Free Member

You know when you did this? The reason why you did this is the reason why you should just replace the cassette.

Why did you replace the chain?You’ve got another 4 years to go.

I replaced my chain because it was elongated more than 0.5%, and I didn’t want to cause damage to the cassette. I relied on what I’ve read on every single article on chainge wear. Quoting Sheldown Brown:

If the link pin is up to 25.5 cm all is well.
    If the link pin is a little bit past 25.5 cm, you should replace the chain, but the sprockets are probably undamaged.
    If the link pin is approaching 25.7 cm,you have left it too long, and the sprockets (at least the favorite ones) will be too badly worn.

As said previously, 10 links on the old chain measured 25.55cm.

imnotverygood

Yes, but the reason why you replace the chain when it is worn is because:
    It transmits energy less efficiently
    Gear changes tend to get worse
    It is more likely tio snap

fifeandy
    Free Member

Just put the old chain back on and run it until stuff stops working.
    Not like it’s cost you anything other than time as you’ll still have the new chain later when you need to replace full drivetrain.

jamj1974

The cassette definitely has signs of wear. At this point, I would put the old chain back on and get another 1k before replacing the chain, cassette and rings.

If you want to measure your chain to assess wear – I’d use a chain checker next time because IME they are easier to use accurately. However, I change chains at 1k regularly and this means I can get 3-4 chains out of a single block and ring(s). It’s an approach that’s not failed me yet.

thecaptain
    Free Member

If you leave it too long you’ll need to replace chainrings too which can get expensive.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m calling troll. Probably Chewkw.

cpper
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I think I’m gonna put back the old chain and ride till problems show up, then replace everything.
    My crankset is Shimano fc m610, is it recommended to buy separate chainrings or replace the entire set(including arms) ?

Eddie baby, could you be more specific ?

nickc

if my drive train had done 4500kms I’d be replacing

chain
    cassette
    chainring(s)
    mech wheels
    cables (outer and inner)

benpinnick

Measuring pin to pin is pointless I am afraid. Chains don’t actually get longer, well not so much that it accounts for the wear anyway – chain stretch, much like cable stretch is a bit of a myth. What actually accounts for the majority of the issues is the rollers getting worn down, which means the distance between them is bigger, hence the wear on the cassette. Your chain might get a bit longer, but the damage is cased by the roller wear. #sorrytobethebringerofbadnews

benpinnick

I should also clarify the pins wear and the pin seats ovalise a little too, but thats really hard to measure.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How to measure a chain for wear – as said it’s not stretching but wearing out inside where it contacts.
    If you didn’t change it and avoid snapping it you could probably take it to the grave but now you have changed it you are seeing that it’s all worn.

On 4000km on a GX casette and you can see wear on it, it’s had 4 chains over that time but still runs OK. Chains are the consumable item here.

cpper
    Free Member

benpinnick, I read posts and articles saying that measuring wear with a ruler is the most accurate way, since many gauges also take roller wear into consideration. Also, everyone was saying elongation is the problem and not roller wear.

theotherjonv

I’d beg to differ, but you’re free to take what advice you want and leave others. Ben runs a bike co and i suspect knows his stuff.

Ultimately, put the old chain back on and run it into the ground, or get a new cassette and be prepared to change the chain more often, it’s your call.

(and be ready, you might put a new cassette on and then the next weakest bit will fail which would be chainrings which *might* also be worn too far after 4.5K. Post up a pic and people will happily give an opinion, but the giveaway is ‘shark’s teeth’ profile)

And then if cassette and cranks both need doing……. while there’s no need to get new cranks your FC M610 is quite a basic one and for the price of cranks you might consider it time to upgrade to a 1X system with a wide ratio cassette which is all anyone really needs nowadays.

Twodogs

Those jockey wheels look amazing for 4,500kms

TheWrongTrousers

Show us your chainrings then …….

DezB
    Free Member

Proper advice is to change your chain before it’s worn – about every 6 months (depends on usage , obv).
    Because the cassette wears with the chain.

I’ve never measured a chain in my life. More likely to change cass & chain after a year. Cos I don’t run 11 speed on MTBs my cassettes aren’t that expensive. 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Put the old chian back on and just run it all into the ground and then replace the chain, cassette and chainrings.
    Chains are made of metal and the forces that normal people put through them really isnt enough to physically stretch them.
    As Ben says, its the rollers and the pins wearing.

daern
    Free Member

I dump chains at around 0.75% wear, which here in Yorkshire on a mountain bike means around 1000-1500km or thereabouts. Cassettes and chainrings last a goodly amount of time when I stick to this, although obviously they do wear eventually.

Personally, I use a cheap roller gauge for quick checking and a steel ruler for accurate pin-to-pin measurements. Someone in the thread above mentioned that measuring pin to pin doesn’t work, but I’m afraid that I must disagree here and when I replace a chain it has physically stretched (i.e. when laid alongside the new one, is physically longer) rather than just containing worn rollers, but not so worn that the new chain doesn’t key in ok.

My biggest gripe at the moment is with Shimano XTR jockey wheels which appear to be made of a carefully formulated alloy of window putty and soft, French cheese. I’m sure it’s very carefully designed, but they wear down to spikes in no time at all! Not a fan of alloy ones though, because they are just too chattery on the bike.

For the OP, 4500km between chain replacements would, for me at least, certainly require a cassette and probably chainring(s) too.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Eddie baby, could you be more specific ?

Sorry cpper. I was a bit grumpy yesterday.
    On the other hand you asked a question and didn’t seem to like the responses. You also don’t seem to accept the widely held belief that elongation is only a small part of the problem.

As said above choose whatever advice you want.
    In fact why not ask for advice from the people who:

make posts and articles saying that measuring wear with a ruler is the most accurate way, since many gauges also take roller wear into consideration. Also, everyone was saying elongation is the problem and not roller wear.

benpinnick

since many gauges also take roller wear into consideration

Thats a fair point to some degree, but the reality is that one won’t happen without the other. The chain isn’t stretching, really, but it is getting sloppy. The slop in the pin seats means that its changing pitch. The rollers are also wearing, meaning the internal contact area of the chain no loner matches the chainring shape, so you’ll be increasing the wear rate on your components, irrespective of whether the chain is getting any longer. Its a mix of all those things, but simply measuring a chain won’t tell you the whole story, whereas measuring the roller distances using a chain checker give you a handle on both slop and roller/pin wear both of which are contributing towards your issues you now have.

Personally I don’t bother with any of the above. I change my chain every 6 months whatever its condition.

cpper
    Free Member

Show us your chainrings then …….

Here is an imgur album of pics with the chainrings and cassette:
    Pics
    Do the chainrings also look worn to the point of replacing ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

getting well worn

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Pedaling problem after changing chain’ is closed to new replies.