Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • pedaled my first full sus today… (heckler content)
  • float
    Free Member

…and when pedaling over rocks and stuff the pedals kept on ‘stiffening’. whats that all about then?

seemed like a nice bike otherwise. definitely added to my list of prospective frames to buy when i have a summer job 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s because it’s a single pivot. If you only have one pivot you have to put it about level with the big ring; if you put it lower down then when you pedal the chain wants to compress the suspension and it sinks every time you pedal leading to bobbing along.

So the chain tension will tend to extend the suspension a bit, to counteract this. It depends on the bike and on which chainring you are in, but if you are in the little ring the effect is greatest. This makes the suspension nice and stiff for climbing. However the disadvantage is that when you do hit a rock the suspension then pulls back on the chain, which is why you feel the tug.

Not so noticeable on my Orange 5, very noticeable on my 7″ Patriot. However I’ve got used to it and I work with it on tech sections quite nicely.

If you really don’t like it consider a multi-pivot design, which are intended to isolate this kind of interaction. Santa Cruz are somewhat unusual in that they make both kinds – most manufs tend to make one design in different travel/geometries.

manitou
    Free Member

single pivot old fashioned design. Strangely popular on here for some reason.

molgrips
    Free Member

I like my bikes which are single pivots. I think they can be stiffer, they are certainly simpler and cheaper to maintain. And they generally have better mud clearance.

They are not as plush but I don’t really care that much 🙂

johnsquiresplectrum
    Free Member

I’ve never liked the feel of a FS bike regardless of design. To be fair Ive only tried a few but I love a good bone rattling hardtail. Keeps me young! 🙂

float
    Free Member

hmm cool. it wasnt that i didnt like it, just something i noticed. thanks for the explaination as well 🙂

and yes hardtails are still more badass 😈

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d say try a multi-pivot bike anyway. Definitely worth doing.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Great explanation up there!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘pedaled my first full sus today… (heckler content)’ is closed to new replies.