• This topic has 30 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by goog.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Pedal strikes are foookin anoying!
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

On the pedally bit on Cutgate – loads of pedal strikes!! Grrr at the trances low bb!!
    What effect on pedaling/pedal strikes would 170mm crank arms have? No comments about "learn to pedal" i needed to pedal up and over rocks etc!!

jam-bo

i ran 165's on my old spesh supercross. 12.1" BB FTW. still had to time my pedal strokes.

it railed corners like nothing else though…

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Forget about pedalling – learn to pump. It is a long time since I had pedal strike.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tracker1972
    Free Member

If they are 5mm shorter, about that much. I get them a fair bit as well on my EX but less since I started seeing them coming and tried to get around them, miss half a pedal stroke or do half strokes to keep a bit of momentum. Currently just hoping to destroy my pedals with strikes so I can get some of the new Crank Brothers Candy 3 pedals.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

#
    Obi_Twa – Member

Forget about pedalling – learn to pump. It is a long time since I had pedal strike.
    Posted 3 minutes ago # Report-Post

Have you ridden cutgate? Its an old river bed covered in rocks – not pumpable!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

those new candys with the machined body look lush!

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Everything is pumpable.

highclimber
    Free Member

its even worse when its pissing down with rain and there are a thousand puddles to avoid because you don't know how deep they are. MTFU and deal with it I say!

kerv
    Free Member

have a word with Cancellara, he should be able to sort you something to save worrying about inconveniences like pedalling!

thepodge
    Free Member

I get them all the time on my trance too, I don't remember cut gate being particularly bad but a just mash my way through now. Maybe a slighty firmer spring or a change in damper settings will keep your bb higher longer

racing_ralph
    Free Member

#
    Obi_Twa – Member

Everything is pumpable.
    Posted 3 hours ago # Report-Post

bollox

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Just because you cant pump it doesnt mean that it aint pumpable.

ton

cutgate is deffo not pumpable………..and i can pump.

rOcKeTdOg

trance's have a low bb, i hated my spesh FSR for that reason and is the reason i tested my current FS before buying, no technique will overcome a bike with a low BB in the terrain you ride in

crikey
    Free Member

Unless you are riding fixed, the majority of pedal strikes can be avoided by riding carefully; CutGate on a 'low bb' Stumpy FSR, no strikes….

emac65
    Free Member

My 07 Trance is fine,but then I run a 130mm fork on it instead of the standard 100.It's helps that I'm a bit of a riding god too,big gears are your answer to less pedal strikes imo….. 8)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Obi_Twa – Member

Just because you cant pump it doesnt mean that it aint pumpable.

**** off you cant ride for shit! come up here and pump cutgate!

ton

😯

crikey
    Free Member

**** off you cant ride for shit! come up down here and pump cutgate!

Fixed it for you..

bikerbruce
    Free Member

Ive riden cut gate with killeen….its not pumpable. if you can go win a worldcup too.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Very few things are absolute or constant. I was on Cutgate yesterday, bits of it definitely can be pumped, pretty much like 99% of all trails. I too had pedal strike but insufficient to report on here, just a normal amount that I'd expect on rocky Black Peak trails.

I'm not sure how shorter cranks would affect the pedalling input and feel for you. I'd be tempted to play with fork and shock pressure / preload / compression damping (whatever settings you can play with) and really concentrate on setting your speed on approach to large rocks that you have to get over. If you've got speed you might get away with a manual to put the front wheel on the rock, keeping body weight forwards and then a shove on the bars to bring the bike up underneath you, all coupled with a stab at the pedals at an opportune moment. Easy! 😉

Northwind

Different pedals can also help, a thinner or narrower one might make just that tiny bit of difference.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Longer fork. Bit less sag in the fork. Taller tyres. Thinner pedals. SPD pedals. Bit less sag in the shock. Look ahead and plan pedal strokes a bit better. Half pedals. All of the above.

I have a TranceX and the low BB can be a bit of a bind when pedalling rutty or very lumpy trails, or when rolling over drops (2 ring plus back solved that). But the low BB pays off in high speed stability and corners.

crikey
    Free Member

Look ahead and plan pedal strokes a bit better……Um, yes….

All the way up/down Cut Gate you can actually see the rocks that people hit with their pedals, they are scored/scratched; look ahead more, plan your pedalling, it's mountain biking and it's meant to be challenging!

stumpy01

I used to get lots of pedal strikes on my old Stumpy fsr, replaced my cranks when they were past it with 170mm XT cranks and it made a massive difference.

I wouldn't go out of my way to replace them just for this, but when the time comes it might be worth getting 170mm instead of 175mm.

SOAP
    Free Member

I noticed the difference betwwen 175mm and 170mm, you would think that just 5mm is impossible to notice but it is! FACT

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've got one of those '04 Enduro SX's coming and have seen quite a few comments about pedal strikes. I've got a set of 170mm cranks spare and am hoping that those and Pikes will sort it out.

My Epic is prone to pedal strikes anyway so I'm used to riding around the issue.

andyg
    Free Member

I was up Cut Gate today too.

I get a lot of pedal strikes. Try locking out the front suspension for the uphill/flat sections.

joiner
    Free Member

pick a better line mr j

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I've got Pikes on my Trance X (did have 120mm Recons) which has greatly reduced pedal strikes and actually improved the ride in many ways.

goog
    Free Member

come on Rob admit it …. you can't ride for shite ! any tard can pedal in between rough stuff and not strike the pedals. have you tried pumping ?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Pedal strikes are foookin anoying!’ is closed to new replies.