Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Pedal straps
  • Jolsa

Hi, can anyone recommend me some pedal straps to attach to DMR V8s please?

Seen these and these but wouldn’t mind hearing from anyone who’s already got some…

jackthedog
    Free Member

Not sure Power Grips will attach to V8s, you might need new pedals if you want to strap in.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’ve used power grips a while back.
    I stuck em in the bin pretty soon afterwards.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

What the hell do you want toe straps for in this day and age???

If you want to be attached to the bike, use SPDs.

If you don’t, stick with your V8s and just get some decent soft soled shoes!

Cougar

I was going to say, as pedals go, if you can’t get enough grip off V8s you’re Doing It Wrong (as my shins will testify to). Sounds like you need SPDs.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was going to say, as pedals go, if you can’t get enough grip off V8s you’re Doing It Wrong (as my shins will testify to). Sounds like you need SPDs.

Doesn’t that prove the opposite?

My shins were pepered with scars from V8 use, the burgtechs they were replaced with hardly ever hit my shins despite being twice the size and using grat big machine screws rather than the fiddly little bolts DMR use!

Cougar

What I mean is, they grip equally well to the soles of shoes as they do to the shins of clumsy halfwits.

Jolsa

In this day and age I was after a temporary cheaper solution to help me on the climbs of the Lon Las Cymru route I’ll be doing soon.

Excuse my ignorance, but I thought they’d be similar to toe clips and offer an alternative to spds which would be more expensive – requiring shoes, as well as offering me the opportunity to fall over still attached to the bike, which I expect I’d take.

Maybe my thinking is wrong – are toe clips/pedal straps useless for helping with pedal efficiency?

alpin
    Free Member

wasn’t there a video on last week’s Mid-Week Movies of a guy using Power Grips or similar. seemed odd to. surely it is like using combi pedals (one side SPD, the other flat) and gives you that shitty “am i, aren’t i? (clipped in)” experience.

@ OP… if you are looking to use them on the climbs, does that mean you won’t use them on the downs? if so you’ll have two loops attached to you pedals ready to get caught up on anything you ride past. not a good idea, IMO.

the only time i can see the power grips being any use is with a fixed gear or maybe singlespeed (not MTB).

HermanShake
    Free Member

I’ve had straps on my road bike before and prefer either flats or SPDs, it’s the worst of both to have straps and especially on an mtb I think it may not be worth it.

As said some soft soled skate trainers will probably see you right (or get SPDs). There’s also Terror Pins to try out and shinpads too!.

Jolsa

Thanks for the replies, it seems my thinking was probably off – whilst I find my V8s fine (no probs with grip) I thought that on a week long ride incorporating a few hills, pedal straps may work in the same way as spds in increasing pedal efficiency (pulling up element).

I’m not interested in going as far as changing to spds – I’m doing the ride on my hardtail mtb with hybrid tyres so am hardly someone in TDF mode in terms of gear. Was just after a cheap solution to a problem that after reading your replies, I’m now thinking doesn’t really exist.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Pedal straps’ is closed to new replies.