Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Pedal advice for a novice mtb-er
  • heechee
    Free Member

Hi folks

I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on new pedals for my mtb. I wish to try upgrading to flat pedals from the stock pedals that came with my rockhopper. I am a novice rider, wishing to improve.

I have got about 50 or 60 quid to spend (more at a push if its required). I have seen mixed online reviews about dmr v12 pedals. I would be most obliged if anyone can tell me if these are the ones to go for or perhaps try something else.

Also, the dmr v12 pedals seem to tighten with an allen key, but my stock pedals do not. If I was to purchase pedals that tighten with an allen key would they still fit? I assume I would need to get a tool to take off my existing pedals.

I warmly welcome any advice.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Any MTB pedal will fit – you don’t need to spend than much tho – cheaper flat pedals are available. Edinburgh bike co op sell some for £20 for example

Most pedals just tighten with a spanner – it might need to be a thin one

beware one side has a reverse thread and I can never remember which

Park tools or Sheldon Brown sites will have good advice

cinnamon_girl

Your existing pedals probably need a pedal spanner. Flat pedals mainly tend to just need an allen key.

Ideally, sealed bearings are the way to go but you will need to check on this.

Pedals are very personal and you will get lots of different suggestions. But I would suggest that you need to use them in conjunction with decent shoes with a grippy sole.

It’s possible that if you have larger than average feet, you would need a broader platform.

I started off with dmr’s but didn’t get on with them. Now use Straitlines but they will be dearer, unless there’s anything on the Classifieds.

On my singlespeed I use a different pedal – Funn Soljams and they should be within your budget.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

existing pedals would probably just need a spanner to remove them. (between pedal and crank). if you got ones with an allen key, the screw threads should still be the standard size but unless you are trying to save weight there is no need to spend 50 or 60 quid on flats. i got welgo ones for about 8 quid with replaceable pins. heavy but really grippy and really cheap. i can’t fault them.

Northwind

V12 are OK but drastically too expensive… There are plenty of bargainy pedals out there, Wellgo’s MG1 for instance (it’s their V12 equivalent, and is lighter and has a better sized platform, for 2/3ds the price- and they make the V12s too) but there’s loads more. You do get more the more you pay in general but there’s no need to spend more than about £15 I reckon.

RustyMac

V12’s can be tightened with an allen key or using a pedal spanner (15mm Spanner I think). There is a different thread size for BMX (1/2″ x 20 tpi) and mountain bikes(9/16″ x 20 tpi) The V12’s will still fit as with all other pedals that are 9/16″.

My suggestion would be if it is your first foray into proper pedals then look at the less expensive V8’s to see if you like the platform then upgrade at a later date. A few people on here like the superstar nano pedals so they may also be worth a look.

audiophile
    Free Member

Right pedals have a right hand thread and lefts a left hand thread, most use a 15mm spanner to tighten, allen key fittings are 6 or 8mm. Grease the threads before you put them on. You don’t need to lean on the tool to tighten them as they will get tighter as you ride. DMR make great pedals but the Wellgo copies are just as good and far cheaper.

heechee
    Free Member

Many thanks to you all for the info.

This is exactly the kind of info I was after! I will have a look at all the recommendations you gave me and bear in mind the fitting. Glad to hear I might save a few quid too!

When I decide, I will let you know what I go for.

Thanks again for advice

Squidlord
    Free Member

Another vote for Wellgo. I use their copy of the DMR V8 – bit heavy, but otherwise can’t fault them.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What squid said and save your dollars. What shoes you using?

dafunkphenomenon
    Free Member

I swapped out the stock pedals on my RockHopper for some of the Wellgo Magnesium ones. Not really tried any others but these are good for me. Very grippy with pretty much any shoes.

If you buy them from a shop ask them if they’ll fit them for you. Mine did them for free, it’s about a 30 second job.

Skoolshoes
    Free Member

Wellgo MG1’s are a very good pedal especially in their price range. Smooth cartridge bearings, grippy and light, but the paint finish chips and scratches easily. Non-important if you’re not fussy.

The B54’s are a steal for £20 Bit heavier than the MG1’s but well made and less costly.

I’ve used both and liked both (as well as more costly pedals) No point in spending more than you have to tbh…

jonb
    Free Member

If you’re a novice you might appreciate this site park tools

There stuff is good but expensive, more importantly though the how to guide is fantastic.

£50-60 is a lot for pedals for a novice IMO. You can get some very good pedals for much less.

I use the wellgo MG1 which are fantastic but no much better than the one’s I got from superstarcomponents. I rate the nano through pins.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=42&osCsid=a5caad0f2551d814f8f3829057fcccaf

heechee
    Free Member

Thanks again for all of your good advice which I really appreciate.

I have ordered the wellgo mg1s and the money I saved versus the dmr v12s has bought me a park tools pedal spanner and grease!

Skoolshoes
    Free Member

You won’t be disappointed! What colour did you go for?

heechee
    Free Member

I went for black, though I hear it chips off but that doesn’t bother me.

All fitted now with no problems. Testride in pentlands this weekend if all goes according to plan!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Pedal advice for a novice mtb-er’ is closed to new replies.