Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Peaty & SPOTY
  • thecrackfox
    Free Member

I couldn't be bothered with SPOTY last night, so did Peaty get a mention of did they just stick to the 'mainstream' sports like the University Boat Race.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

yep, he got a mention and a few pics on collage bit they did.

thecrackfox
    Free Member

Is it worth a look on i-player? Or if I blink will I miss it.

AndyP
    Free Member

Yep he got some time in one of the lame poem montages.
    about a thousandth of the time that Eddie Jordan got to play his drums.

brakes
    Free Member

whilst I was pleased he got a mention, it was literally that – he deserves more credit given that he's arguably the most successful downhiller of all time

clubber
    Free Member

given that he's arguably the most successful downhiller of all time

No chance! Vouilloz, Chausson? I think Peat's great but he's not in that class. Unless of course you meant only Brits.

The problem is that we (UK) have quite a few World Champs and while we like him, most people see him as about as significant as if we had a Tiddlywinks WC.

Wozza
    Free Member

It's on iPlayer at 1.50ish

smiffy

I laughed at the commentary saying something about climbing mountains, when refering to a DHer!

cookeaa

given that he's arguably the most successful downhiller of all time

No chance! Vouilloz, Chausson? I think Peat's great but he's not in that class. Unless of course you meant only Brits.
    The problem is that we (UK) have quite a few World Champs and while we like him, most people see him as about as significant as if we had a Tiddlywinks WC.

Well I’d say he is arguably up there with “Nico” must have clocked up more World cup wins/points by now (has he?) in what is arguably a more focussed serious sport with more young fit talented riders to contend with than was the case when Vouilloz was cleaning up… Arguably…

Chausson is more likely to be a household name for her Beijing BMX Gold than riding an MTB, but then MTB and especially DH is quite a “young” sport give it another 20-40 years and there might be more fuss over a British DH world Champ, but it’ll never be as “mainstream” as a lot of sports it’s a lot harder/more expensive to get in to than football, Athletics, or any other sport commonly taught in schools and covered on the Beeb….

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I believe Peaty has clocked up more World Cup wins than Nico did (passed that milestone last year or the year before IIRC). Doesn't have as many World Champs titles though.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I laughed at the commentary saying something about climbing mountains, when refering to a DHer!

Yeah, you'd think that even for somebody that knows nothing about MTB the clue would be in the name!

algarvebairn
    Free Member

The thing is: Nobody really gives a sh*t about MTB (except us). Its a minority sport so mainstream TV won't give it a minute's thought never mind a minute's air time.

warton
    Free Member

Indeed, and seeing all those other world champions from minority sports you can't really expect anything else from a 2 hour long programme

clubber
    Free Member

Peaty has more longevity than Nico or AC but I still don't think you can say he's as good just on the basis that when they competed together (Nico obviously) he was consistently the best.

kelvin

Football… football… football…

MrAgreeable

when they competed together (Nico obviously) he was consistently the best.

But Nico did return to DH recently and, apart from winning the Mega (which is pretty damn impressive) he didn't trouble the fast guys at the top, who Peaty is still very much up with. Steve's getting better as he gets older, surely that's something you can relate to? 😉

algarvebairn – Member

The thing is: Nobody really gives a sh*t about MTB (except us). Its a minority sport so mainstream TV won't give it a minute's thought never mind a minute's air time.

Indeed, and why should it bother any of us. As long as I'm doing what I enjoy I don't really feel the need to be validated by the BBC or the tabloids.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Peaty drew level with vouilloz on wins after la bresse and then surpassed that record with his win at maribor. Both were this year and Were consecutive events. I think he now has 18 or maybe 17.

clubber
    Free Member

Ah I didn't know about Nico's return but was he properly prepared or was it just a one off as a break from Rallying? DH nowadays has definitely moved on and presumably as a result needs more preparation.

Pigface
    Free Member

Dougie Lampkin only ever got a cursory mention when he was world champ about 9 times, David Knight got a mention a couple of years ago when he was WEC champ.

Minority sports never get a mention, Jamie Bestwick is a classic example.

geetee1972
    Free Member

A lot of people argue that preparation took a retrograde step after vouilloz stopped. The Sunn team used to use data logging and telemetry over a course to work out how to maximise speed. There was an example once where vouilloz worked out that the energy he saved by not pedaling a particularly open section adopting an aero tuck instead was faster overall when taking into account the technical rocky next section which he was fresher for than his rivals. This was all worked out scientifically.

MrAgreeable

clubber – Member

Ah I didn't know about Nico's return but was he properly prepared or was it just a one off as a break from Rallying?

Don't think you win the Mega by just rocking up and hoping for the best. 😉 As far as DH goes, I only heard about him doing one round, at Champery, the year it rained really heavily and Sam Hill rode the track almost as fast as in the dry. (Peaty came second by the way).

It's a bit of a moot point really – the bloke clearly has heaps of talent, but he seems to be directing it away from DH at the moment. You can argue about who might be better if they both did the same amount of training and practice, but Peaty's still faster these days, that's the bottom line.

AndyP
    Free Member

Minority sports never get a mention, Jamie Bestwick is a classic example.
    whoooooooooooooo?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Do a search on Jamie Bestwick and BMX – He's the top guy by a long way. 38 and from Derby. Bestwick

I saw him at the worlds this year and was one of the most jaw dropping things I've seen. Everyone was warming up, doing a few runs to get used to the ramp. Then bestwick comes out of the VIP area does his run without hardly any warm up and was so obviously streets ahead of everyone, it was just nuts to watch, effortless!!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Peaty & SPOTY’ is closed to new replies.