Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Peaks routes: Stanage Edge, which path is the best of the legal ones?
  • brooess
    Free Member

I’m thinking about a route clockwise round Ladybower which starts in Ashopton. So the current ending is Cutthroat Bridge down to Ladybower Inn.
    But instead of coming back on myself down to the Inn, I can do a mile up the A57 and take a right along Stanage. But hard to see if there is a bridleway along there, and where’s best to drop down back to the car? I can only see footpaths or roads through Bamford.
    Cheers

rob-jackson
    Free Member

their is no bridleway from teh a57 onto stanage

thepodge
    Free Member

yep, you can’t see them because there aren’t any.

Pieface

Alternatively keep going along the A57 for a few miles to here
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=426107&y=387520&z=120&sv=426107,387520&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=746&ax=426107&ay=387520&lm=0 and go through some woods, then up past Redmires reservoirs and descend through Stanage plantation.

brooess
    Free Member

nice one Pieface, that would go nicely

thepodge
    Free Member

That is a big detour and also technically not legal on a bike.

brooess
    Free Member

technically not legal on a bike.

Can you tell me which bit isn’t legal? From A57 through the forest looks like a fire road, then it’s tarmac, then BOAT and then bridleway down to the road again, as far as I can see.
    Take your point about a long detour for only a short bit of downhill trail tho!

thepodge
    Free Member

through the forest as far as I know isn’t legal on a bike, its not a fire road, its an old private road, having said that I’ve never had any issue riding it.

davetrave
    Free Member

If you can work it to get round to Redmires, over Standedge Pole, down off the Edge countouring down the PRoW to Plantation car park, short road hop then down this descent Here in to the centre of Bamford – steep, fast and rough…

GEDA
    Free Member

That is legal to ride. You used to be able to drive a car down it until they blocked it up. Loads of bikers and horse riders use it. Wyming Brook is a beautiful place for a walk as well, the river walk is fantastic.

To get to Bamford from Stange I always go from the Stange carpark to Gatehouse, downb the steep road to bamford and the water works. The steep Bamford track is a bit short and straight. The other way is used by the 4x4s and is a realy deep track where you can berm around the corners. Much more fun.

thepodge
    Free Member

ok, my mistake. perhaps that’s why I’ve never had any trouble when riding there

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Peaks routes: Stanage Edge, which path is the best of the legal ones?’ is closed to new replies.