Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Peaks route advise
  • 19ninety
    Free Member

First time visit to the Peak District, working out a route from others I’ve seen that are recommended heading from Hathersage – Hope – Ladybower – Hathersage, but have a couple of questions…

Is the climb up past the quarry near Castleton and the descent down the adjacent valley (Cave Dale / Secret Valley?) worth the winch up to the top?

And, see the pic below, is it better to cut down through the woods (red) or follow the Kinder Loop round (blue)?

Full route:

Thanks!

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Potatoe Alley or The Beast……spin a coin for a modal preference from STW I would guess.

The quarry climb is pindale/dirtlow rake and the descent is Cavedale……tricky descent…..especially if sustained wetness has preceeded the ride!

jekkyl

On your first pic red is the beast, the other potato alley. The Beast is steep in places slower and pick your way through the rocks n roots down through the trees. Potato alley is faster, out in the open with excellent views over a rock fest or a track at the right, my favourite of the two. Whichever you do climb after the road follow the blue and marvel at the farmers junkyard as you climb.

Garry_Lager

Cavedale is a fairly renowned descent that most of us find hard – it’s steep, rocky, and very slippy on the limestone as there’s always a stream running down it IME. So great if you like a bit of tech – but even if you don’t there’s a nice, smooth, long run in and the hardest part isn’t that long (it is a substantial winch up, though).

Opinion is divided on potato alley v the beast – some people like wide open farm tracks that you could drive a skoda superb down, others like intricate rocky trails deep within the boughs.
    The beast is very different from cavedale, though, in that it’s easy to pick your way down – v rocky but never steep. Hitting it full pelt would be a different story.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

If it’s your first time in the peaks and you have some energy left consider heading up over whinstone lee torr, (starts half way down the east bank of ladybower reservoir) up the steep stone slabs past the wood and into the puddly moorland then one of the best views around , then you have the excellent run down to cutthroat bridge and back to ladybower to follow your route (likely to add 30-55mins depending on energy and fitness)

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Cavedale is much better than that climb you’ve got listed to the north of Bamford to blast back into the village. I’ve ridden that descent once in the last 20 years. As above do whinstone lee tor instead.

19ninety
    Free Member

Thanks for the help folks, much appreciated!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Peaks route advise’ is closed to new replies.