Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Peaks decision
  • handybendyhendo
    Free Member

So a week Sunday some mates are coming up for a virginal Peaks outing…..

So do we do Hayfield Loop (up back of Jacobs and then down jacobs – that way rd) OR park at bridge near Ladybower and do Whinstone / Hagg / Win Hill Climb / roman rd / potato and screaming?

ifanu

Mark

nbt

It’s wet. Jacob’s Ladder is a well surfaced route, Whinstone Lee Torr will be a muddy mess. i’d do the Hayfield loop

flyingmonkeycorps

Like NBT says, WLT will be horrid. If you’re doing Ladybower I’d park near Fairholmes, up Hagg Side, down Hagg Farm Switchbacks, up to Roman Road (which could also be horrid), down Beast / Potato then up and down Screaming Mile / Suicide 🙂

portlyone

I avoid Whinstone Lee Tor in the wet like Jules said. Though you can leave that section out and still have a very decent ride.

Pook

I concur – WLT will be a bog, as will the roman road. If you’re considering the jacobs loop consider that chapel gate is currently closed and Rushup Edge will also be a bog.

I reckon your best bet is some of the ladybower tracks – lockerbrook, hagg farm, beast etc. While you won’t avoid the mud, there’ll be less than on some of the other routes.
    Anyone follow kofthep on twitter? It usually has an update on trail conditions round there

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Yeah – WLT was the section that was up for debate on the LB option…..as you say plenty of fun if it is not cold enough to have frozen…..

LB is winning at mo in the general consensus – I guess LB is favourite as we can always hit Hope for some food…..the Hayfield route is very much once you are out, you are out!! I do like this route though…..

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Just seen Pooks comments…

….OK….probably stick with LB options then and if its frozen might attempt WLT as the view from the top is great!!

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Which bit is chapel gate? I am rubbish at remembering names of sections 🙂

nbt

chapel gate goes from Edale to the end of Rushup’s edge. It was closed and resurfaced then closed to motorised traffic. It was then re-opened to motorised traffic and then (and I’d forgotten this bit) closed to everyone

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

OK – so usually from edale we go up to Hollins Cross then skirt the shoulder of Mam Tor….couple of hundred yards of tarmac to a traverse across Rushups and then down rocky steps……

all of that section from edale to the start of the rocky steps is closed?

Pook

Yes. Pretty much.

Your way up there is open though, but Rushup will be wet.

AlexSimon

handybendyhendo – Member

OK – so usually from edale we go up to Hollins Cross then skirt the shoulder of Mam Tor….couple of hundred yards of tarmac to a traverse across Rushups and then down rocky steps……

all of that section from edale to the start of the rocky steps is closed?
    There seems to be some confusion here. What you described doesn’t touch Chapel Gate. Chapel Gate is the one that shortcuts straight from Edale to the top of the rocky steps.
    Rushup Edge and Mam Tor is all still open.

mintimperial

Chapel Gate was open when we went up a couple of weeks ago. It was supposed to be shut from mid-January but there were no barriers and no signage up to indicate closure, it was all passable, and we met a couple of convoys of middle-aged men happily carting their beer guts down it in 4x4s. Dunno if it’s been closed since, though?

Pook

last time i was up there were signs here and here

I guess there’s some mutiny going on

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

So we are doing the ‘Jacobs long’ route from Edge Cycle works……

….I got over ruled by the Matlock-Massiv 😉

Anyone up that way over last few days with any trail reports??

sambob
    Free Member

Pretty dry up this way.

MartynS

As Sam says, it’s nice and dry.. Or was yesterday! Ironically the likes of Whitestone lee for would proberbly be fine..

Enjoy wherever you go!

Garry_Lager

Was over just to the east of that doing the Mam Tor circuit on Sunday and conditions were perfect – totally frozen. I think it has warmed up this week, but not massively so (it frosted last night in S Manc for example), plus it’s not rained either. So I reckon it’s game on for your route.

As mintimperial mentions there was no evidence of Chapel Gate being closed last time I was up (also 2 weeks back I think). Maybe someone has taken some signs down but it’s not like it was being worked on or anything, passed loads of walkers and some motorcyclists using it. So that’s prob an (unpleasant) option if it’s likely that Rushup will be heavy going.

sambob
    Free Member

Ride saturday Martyn?

MartynS

Depends where and when Sam… Working early morning. Keep me posted though!!

sambob
    Free Member

Working in the evening, no idea where. Could do with getting over to Hope, need to try some Teva Links.

bland

Did that ride on Sunday and it was like summer condition wise. Slightly greasy in places but ace otherwise, loads better ride than jacobs ladder and chapel gate has been surfaced now so pants

This was the Whinstone descent HERE

proutster
    Free Member

Cracking descent that Bland, don’t know that one down to The Ladybower Inn. Will have to look on the OS map, how do you get to it?

We were up there last Saturday and our final descent was the one from Whinstone Lee Tor down to Cutthroat bridge and then to The Ladybower Inn – weren’t conditions great?

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Which descent off WLT is that one,Bland? Only ever done the one down to the pub or the opposite way heading towards the flags and Fairholmes.

hora
    Free Member

Stunningly dry yesterday.

scandalous
    Free Member

Catch the train to Chinley and ride back to Sheff – a good 36 miles over varied terrain.

robhenry85
    Free Member

that decent from WLT is the footpath 😉 that zig zags down behind the pub. it’s easy to take it by accident as i did, great way down tho

proutster
    Free Member

robhenry85

that decent from WLT is the footpath that zig zags down behind the pub. it’s easy to take it by accident as i did, great way down tho

So do you get to it by turning right (almost doubling back on yourself) down that steep, rocky (very inviting looking) path when you’re at the top of WLT?

robhenry85
    Free Member

if you come at it from the flag stones route up from the north, it’s pretty much straight on from the top. i’m not sure if it’s even on an os map (it’s not on the bing os map thing)

edit – put 53.381857,-1.704683 into google maps and it’s the path where the green arrow pops up

proutster
    Free Member

Got it, thanks!!

Will definitely try that one the next time we’re up there.

vickypea
    Free Member

roman road was full of snow last Sunday but still had a good ride.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Bloody gorgeous this morning – blue skies and sunshine.

banks
    Free Member

Did the Roman road the day after Vickypea. Back to its usual gritty & gloopy self, still spent most of the day going up & down it mind 😀

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Peaks decision’ is closed to new replies.