Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • peak district winter boots – needed?
  • maurizio
    Free Member

‘ello, i’m lucky enough to be moving to the peaks for uni. However my mtb shoes have given their all and are in pieces (literally!), as such i need a new pair of shoes, but seeing as how infamously muddy, rainy and generally british the peaks seem to be i thought getting a set of winter boots wouod serve me well. especially for any muddy scrambling!

so, riders of the peak district, what shoes do yous use, and why? (not necessarily specific models but winter shoe/summer shoe with boot sort of things!)

thanks in advance 🙂

scaled
    Free Member

Northwave goretex winter boots AND overshoes for the peaks in winter.
    Sorry

nbt

I’ve been known to run winter boots (shimano mw80 I htink) year round

ahwiles
    Free Member

long, thick, water-proof socks will be your new best friends.

shoes: I use shimano AM40’s, the lace-cover is really handy, it means i don’t have to double-knot-and-tighten, which means i can easily undo my laces after a ride when my hands are wet, cold, and more or less useless.

vertebratetom

Good area for uni – nice one! Where are you off to?

From a Sheffield point of view, the Dark Peak isn’t actually particularly muddy or rainy. It’s very rocky, ‘splashy’ and sandy, (and can be snowy and exposed) – you’ll get wet, possibly cold and grind your drivertrain to pieces, but not really be slipping about in the mud. (Not sticking to bridleways, anyway… :wink:) I generally just wear Shimano DX shoes (or whatever they’re called now) and would only bring out my winter boots when it’s snowy and icy and I don’t want my toes to drop off.) Or when the DXs haven’t dried out. There are so many puddles around that winter boots just seem to fill up from the tops anyway.

The White Peak is a whole different ball game. It’s muddy and the rocks are slippery. The same rules probably apply, but you’ll want some shoes with teeth for grip.

madxela
    Free Member

yes – winter boots are the almost all year round necessity.

+1 for northwave winter boots

I also have sidi winter boots (no fleecy lining just goretex) as “summer” boots

recently on five 10’s and flatties this summer

worth sealskinz with merino wool as socks too!

momo

Winter boots are lovely things, I used seal skins socks for years, but bought a pair of Northwave celcius boots last winter, only let me down once intorrential rain, when they filled up from the top.

Never underestimate the importance of warm dry feet.

lakelandmatt
    Free Member

+1 for seal skinz socks, probably the best investment I made last winter for riding in the dark peak.

scaled
    Free Member

I can’t decide between Northwave Celsius GTX and Northwave Celsius Arctic GTX

I was wading through 5ft tall snow drifts up by robin hoods picking rods last year…

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Blimey, I just use a pair of shoes all year round and some warm woollen socks, but I am thinking about some of those neoprene over boot type things.

The Dark Peak has some lovely boggy and wet bits to go alongside the rocky bits – ie the peaty bits and the trails that become, or are crossed by, streams in heavy rain so your feet are going to get wet.

I used to wear boots and cages aeons ago but you just end up with a big soggy lump on the end of your legs.

edit: And good luck at Uni, may see you out on the moors sometime. 😀

Carax
    Free Member

Another vote for Northwave Celsius boots (October to about April) – but maybe you stoodents cannot afford them.

sambob
    Free Member

Sealskinz socks make a massive difference to any shoes, kept my feet warm and dry this winter. Make sure you get some waterproof shorts too, a whole new world of wet weather comfort.

Just got some Shimano MT91’s and they seem great. Not used in foul conditions yet though but well made and look good. Not the widest not go 2 euro sizes up from your norm.

Nice to pedal in too albeit not super stiff but that suits me. Surprisingly comfy to walk in too – wouldn’t be far off making a decent hiking boot on their own

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for northwave boots, they’re good enough all year round IME, a little ‘warm’ in august, but less uncomfortable than summer shoes in winter!

Best £150 I’ve spent on bike related stuff ever. Occasionaly they crop up on CRC for £80 in a sale.

Sealskins socks make crap shoes mediochre, but that’s about it, they’re neither warm or waterproof. Rain just runs in the top, which is true of boots too, but the neoprene seals at least make an attempt to keep it out!

sambob
    Free Member

Must admit my socks are calf length, so haven’t experienced socks full of water.

vickypea
    Free Member

Northwave boots for me too. We do a lot of winter riding in the Peak District and if you want to ride on a cold wet night with lots of streams to splash through, I would recommend winter boots.

banks
    Free Member

5:10s a size too big and two pairs of wool socks. Except you’re going to get wet (fnar) but need to stay warm, your feet need wiggle room too tight and you’ll get cold feet….

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Can you still get the AM40’s?

What model took over them if not? I really like the idea of the tongue.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What model took over them if not? I really like the idea of the tongue.

I’ve got them from back when they were the MP-66 or DX shoe. They’re good, but really heavy, and not waterproof, not even shower proof.

ChrisF
    Free Member

Another winter boot user, especially for winter nightrides. NW Celsius have been good, but have also got on OK with summer boots + overshoes in the past. Summer shoes for spring/summer though. Wooly socks (ie merino) help on those subzero nights too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

+1 for sealskinz (you can get long ones now which work well with 3/4 length shorts). I’ve ridden in the snow there in April. It’s useful to have a hat under your helmet and something to keep you dry when you over the bars / down the mine and into the wet peat !

Lucky you, fantastic riding.

ironbrucove

what nbt said, Shimano winter boots for about 11 1/2 months of the year.

BadlyWiredDog

Yeah, I wear two pairs of boots one inside the other and six pairs of socks all year round. It’s that brutal etc.. But back in the real world, where people aren’t confusing the Peak with Siberia, pretty much any decent winter boots will do in winter and in summer, those of us who aren’t daft fantasists, wear normal bike shoes like anywhere else.

Liking MT91s with wool socks for dry, sub-zero conditions. Defrosters for the damp, cool stuff. Normal shoes the rest of the time. Overshoes get trashed fairly quickly ime. Good on the cross bike though ime etc.

cr500dom
    Free Member

looking at some Specialized defrosters, whats the sizing like ?
    I have Specialized pro MTB shoes in a 43 should I go the same for defrosters or next size up ?

BadlyWiredDog

It kind of depends whether you want to wear them with thick socks. They’re more of a sort of intermediate boot than a full winter one – no added insulation – and ime anyway, the sizing’s in line with other Spesh footwear, so if you want to wear big, wooly socks with them, yes, you’ll probably need to go up a size. If you simply want them for the water resistance, your normal size would be fine, if that makes sense.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Sealskins socks make crap shoes mediochre, but that’s about it, they’re neither warm or waterproof.

Yes they are worse than wearing a decent pair of wool socks IME

Lakes if you have the cash – never tried any other as these are superb

maurizio
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! Although the comments on needing winter boots and overshoes 😮
    I’ve been saving for a while, so i could stretch to the Lake shoes – or similiar.
    Rogerthecat thanks for the comparison between the peaks – i think i’m going to go for the full winter boot (looking at the suggested options now!) as for night rides, quick bivi’s and when the weather gets snowy i’d much rather be able to head out regardless.

Thanks for the advice again, and hopefully catch you around the peaks!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘peak district winter boots – needed?’ is closed to new replies.