Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Peak District Weather
  • Bludgeon
    Free Member

Greetings,

I spent last weekend (31st July-2nd August 2009) camping and walking in the Peak District. We were based near the Manifold Valley but spent Saturday walking up Mam Tor, near Castleton. Lots of mud everywhere.

As I'm due a riding away day up to the Hope Valley on the 8th August, I am wondering if the cycle routes (off-road natch) are in the same condition?

I'm not expecting total dryness, but is there such a thing as a dry route (Tracey mentioned Cut Gate?) at the moment?

TIA

Andrew.

snowslave

Quite a lot of trails in the dark peak are v rocky and drain quick but you've got to pick em. Cut Gate has some bits that get pretty swampy in the wet.

For eg – Jacob's Ladder, Hagg Farm, Babyhead Boulevard/potato alley, Jaggers Clough, Roych Clough, & the Beast should all be ok.

We were out on Thurs night round Hayfield, and the trails out there were holding up v well indeed.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

it tends to dry out quite quickly in the peaks if we have a few days of dry weather.

Pook

Cut Gate turns into a bog in any wet.

Try the loop from Edale, Hollins Cross, Rushup Edge, Pennine Bridleway, Jacobs Ladder, Edale. 14 miles and good fun to ride. Should stay dryish.

amodicumofgnar

Cut Gate – North America not really a wet weather option.

Teggs Nose / Macc Forest / Wildboarclough Circuit or Goyt Valley Circuit fairly good all weather options. http://www.bikemaps.co.uk has details.

Bludgeon
    Free Member

Thanks for the help.

Pook: Do you have a gpx for the route. Not sure how to get back to Edale after Jacob's ladder.

Tnx.

Kramer
    Free Member

Bludgeon, just follow the road back down the valley.

crazy-legs

Not sure how to get back to Edale after Jacob's ladder.

One road, two possible directions. Uphill is wrong.
    It's that simple!

I was out on the CX yesterday and, while there were certainly plenty of boggy bits it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'd avoid Cut Gate though, that's legendary for being rubbish in bad weather. the top of Cavedale is erm "swampy" at the moment too.

al2000

Top of Cavedale wasn't that bad today. Lower bit had a river running down it, but that's preferable to having loads of mud dragged over it.

Most places were surprisingly dry (ish), Mam Tor (Hollins Cross, right hand side) was pretty bad though.

Bludgeon
    Free Member

What's it generally like around Ladybower?

Bludgeon
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help.

We'll do the Edale, Hollins Cross, Rushup Edge, Pennine Bridleway, Jacobs Ladder, Edale loop.

Bludgeon
    Free Member

Hi,

Weather was fantastic yesterday!

We did the loop and added Hayfield in for lunch. Hardest ride of my life.

Andrew.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Peak District Weather’ is closed to new replies.