Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Peak district – Long weekend, where to stay, what to ride?
  • krag
    Free Member

A bunch of my mtb friends are planning a long weekend in the peak district and wondered if anyone had suggestions on where to stay and what must do rides we should be looking at over a long weekend?

Ideally we'd want to stay somewhere close the riding, if it's possible from the door all the better. There's around 6 of us so a cottage type thing would be good. Thanks!

Pieface

Don't know about accomodation but anywhere in the Hope / Edale valley gives you access riding to the best riding in the dark peak. Hope probably best bet for facilities and access to trails. Look at an OS map and follow your nose – too much to list. If you're riding everyday you'll probably cover everything.

mogsuncle
    Free Member

Just e-mailed you the gpx file for a 40 mile Dark Peak loop that was in What Mountain Bike Issue 37. I've not done it yet myself but it was described as difficult and was about 40 odd miles.

krag
    Free Member

Thanks, just looking at it now

swampi
    Free Member

cheshire mews right in castleton,£60 per room, walk in shower room/wet room(great for intimate bike/shower moments)or out side tap for normal bike washers, 100 yards straight across from the pub, just spent last weekend there

Tracey

You wont get much better than the Ladybower Inn

Tracey

defaultslipper
    Free Member

pindale farm for a cheap weekend. £10 each per night.
    pretty basic, but you get a big room with alpine style bunkbeds, basic cooking facilities, shower, and plenty of room to keep bikes inside.

from the door you can ride out to hope/ edale loops. the ladybower loops are within distance if you know where you are going, otherwise not too far to drive to. only thing missing is a pub nearby (nearest is about a mile away). but on a good weekend just take some beer and some chairs and admire the views to mam tor!

Sandwich

Thorpe farm Bunkhouse also good for this sort of trip.

peachos
    Free Member

stayed here before – run by a nice old chap and his missus who he looks after. good home cooked food. nice & warm bunkhouse type place. pub about 2 miles up the road & riding to & from the door

http://www.moorsidefarm.com/index-5.html

SimonR

Second vote for Pindale Farm … if you talk nicely to them when you're booking you'll get exclusive use of a room …. think they've got 4 or five rooms in the bunkhouse. The engine room is quite interesting if you can get that – it's set away from the main building. Parking can be a bit of an issue if the place is full though.

For B&B the Woodbine is in a good spot and also used the Bowling Green pub in Bradwell (good food, good beer and a great view out the back on those warm summer evenings ….)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Krag if it's dry try to fit a route in that includes Cavedale … you'll like it. If it's wet don't bother 😉

Stuart

Bullet

Have stayed here http://www.sallydog.co.uk/astoncottages/index.htm very nice and routes straight up the hill from the cottages…

nosedive
    Free Member

If you stay at the labybower in you are nice and close to my favourite ride – cutgate, it is marked on OS maps and takes you from the far end of Derwent reservoir over to the woodhead pass. Also + 1 for the stuff around Edale, possibly working in Jacobs Ladder that comes down the side of kinder. either ascending or descending or both depending on what kind of nutter you are. sorry for the vague descriptions, I'm at work so away from my maps

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Peak district – Long weekend, where to stay, what to ride?’ is closed to new replies.