Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Peak district commute
  • dan1980
    Free Member

I work in Manchester, and the other half works in Sheffield.

Can anyone suggest a compromise location for us to live?

My commute is currently half an hour and costs me £80 a month on the train. I don't drive.

She can either drive at £200 a month fuel (then obviously servicing, MOT etc) or train it into Sheffield for £160. She'd rather have her car for work (Social work type thing)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

On top of the snake pass in a tent?

Theres no ideal place for working in both places unfortunately. Penistown wouldn't be too bad would it?

dan1980
    Free Member

I kind of thought that there wasn't an ideal place.

Problem is, I don't drive, so am limited to cycling (ok until winter) and trains/buses.

Should say that at the moment we're living in New Mills

tracknicko
    Free Member

penistone? wierd response!

i guess glossop is the striaght answer… or try a nice village

eyam, flagg, castleton, bradwell, monyash.

buxton maybe?

nbt

You're around the right place then – you need to be on the trainline into Manchester really, so you either move further down the trainline (hope valley way) or over toward Penistone as Dunc suggested

steveh

Glossop, Marple etc would be my choices. Decent trains into Manchester and Sheffield and not too bad a drive (except at times in winter) over to Sheffield.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I had exactly the same issue, though I was on the Sheffield side.

We compromised and moved to Glossop. We both had hour and a half commutes by car. We both got home late and tired. Glossop's a dump. We split after 6 months.

Do yourselves a favour and choose either Sheffield or Manchester. From the way you've described it, providing you work in central Manchester, go for Sheffield and train it over. It takes 50 minutes on the train. Plus the riding is better from Sheff

tracknicko
    Free Member

oh yeh, incidently i couldnt agree more about the above. just make her travel!

ba ha ha

dot
    Free Member

Was going to suggest New Mills but your already there! Why not stay? Ace location IMO!

dan1980
    Free Member

I agree, but I'm apparently being selfish because I don't like moving, and have a shorter, cheaper commute.

tracknicko
    Free Member

that just means your winning.

(my mrs and i live in central/northern shuff. – i work here. she works in manc)

never a day goes by that i dont get my ear bent about it. but i aint moving to glossop!

… not that she isnt worth moving for. but why put both of you out?

dot
    Free Member

Nightmare! How about Chinley? Guess train fare to Sheffield would come down slightly? Obviously raise yours though. 🙄
    I really like living in New Mills, just needs a couple of decent pubs and it would be perfect.

porterclough
    Free Member

Hathersage, Bamford or somewhere else in the Peak District with a station on the rail line between Sheffield and Manchester (i.e., not Glossop which is a dead end rail wise as well as being a traffic nightmare and a dump that should really be knocked down and replaced with a nice bit of dual carriageway – IMHO).

Or Manchester or Sheffield! (You may consider outlying areas with stations like Dore on the Sheffield side or New MIlls / Disleyland on the Mcr side).

Good mountain biking prospects in all these places (except central Manchester obviously)

LS
    Free Member

I'd echo what's been said above – either stay in New Mills or move to Sheff and then train it to work each day.
    Bamford/Hathersage and all the other villages on the train line are serious money.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

my gf works in Macc, and i work in sheff – we live in tideswell and its a good place for us both travelling wise – about 40mins each direction.

sambob
    Free Member

Whaley bridge 🙂 6 pubs, all within walking distance of anywhere and a good lbs. only problem is not on the sheffield line, only on the buxton one.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Peak district commute’ is closed to new replies.