Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Peak district campsite recommendations
  • hughjengin
    Free Member

Looking for a campsite for a family weekend this weekend in the Peak district, preferably somewhere near the Bakewell, Matlock sort of area. Doesnt have to be a bike orientated location or a bike friendly campsite, as I am not planning to ride. We have loads to do with the kids in the general area and they love camping just for the sake of it, so the campsite doesnt need to be a Butlins in a field type site, quite happy for it to be out of the way.

Shorty121
    Free Member

One of my friend owns a camp site in Blackwell that is off the road and is great. The phone number for them is 01298 85330 very nice chap that runs it.
    It's about 10 minutes drive to Bakewell and around 15 minutes to Buxton.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Shorty,
    I contacted them but they are full, looks perfect mind and definately one to try another day. Thanks for the recommendation

Shorty121
    Free Member

That's a shame that they a full. There is one near Bakewell but not sure about the area it is situated. There is this one that we do shearing and general sheep work for situated at Over haddon that camp site is not far from Bakewell so might be nice

01629 812 343?

cnud
    Free Member

Greenhills is nice and only just outside of Bakewell. Tel: 01629 813052 / 813467

hughjengin
    Free Member

Greenhills is nice and only just outside of Bakewell

I checked the website, its a big place, is it a bit of a holiday camp place, which is not really my scene

Shorty121
    Free Member

Tried the one at over haddon?

Pieface

Greenhills is very expensive too.

cxi
    Free Member

The Royal Oak isn't too far from Bakewell / Matlock:

http://www.peakpub.co.uk/camping

jacksta
    Free Member

not quite bakewell but Crowden is nice – we were there last weekend. Its only small but it has a lovely, relaxed family feel

joemarshall
    Free Member

Guessing this might not be for a family, but depending on how wild campingy you are, I understand that there is limited camping allowed in Shining Cliff woods near Ambergate, before you get to Matlock on the A6 (from the south). It is run by Grith Pioneers who are some kind of wacky old charity. You have to sort it out through them in advance. No facilities as far as I know, just a very nice woods. I think they charge something like 50p per person. Can't find the phone number online, but found some email addresses: jill.mike1@btinternet.com or helen@twitchen.co.uk.

Oh and I'm not sure, but I imagine you'd be parking about a mile or so from where you can camp.

Joe

docrobster
    Free Member

If you want small this place is only 20 pitches. Never been but am going in 3 weeks just for one night. Allows open fires which is the main reason we chose it. Midway between buxton and bakewell

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Peak district campsite recommendations’ is closed to new replies.