Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Peak District advice please
  • Mbnut
    Free Member

My son has moved to Stoke on Trent so the Peaks are going to be our new mtb play ground.

I have ordered up some OS maps but I am after suggestions for good routes of between 10 and 15 miles that would be ok for a 14 year old.

He is very capable for his age so looking for routes that are fun, techy to a tough red standard and up to 2500ft ascent.

Rocky is preferred to muddy or boggy though rooty woodland is cool.

Thanks in advance.

cuckoo
    Free Member

If you’re on the Stoke side there are good routes around Macclesfield Forest, Gradbach, The Roaches, 3-shires head, Hollinsclough for rocky descents.

Also as part of the Pedal Peak project, funding has just been won for a Staffordshire Moorlands link which will provide routes directly into the peak district from Stoke.

Onzadog
    Free Member

At 14, isn’t he a bit young to move to Stoke?

nickdavies

Grab the dark and white peak book off amazon. £25 for both and a lot of good stuff is in there.

thorlz
    Free Member

If you’re on the Stoke side there are good routes around Macclesfield Forest, Gradbach, The Roaches, 3-shires head, Hollinsclough for rocky descents.

The above is all true. For a quick woodland ride, Hanchurch wood is great. Just follow your nose and go exploring

thorlz
    Free Member

The above is all true. For a quick woodland ride, Hanchurch wood is great. Just follow your nose and go exploring

jekkyl

I live in Stoke, there is tons of local stuff, the peaks is 1hr 15 mins or so drive, Macc forest 45 and Cannock is 45 mins too.

jekkyl

MBnut, I was up the peaks on Friday and had a great time.
    You say that your lad is fairly capable so I reckon he’d have no trouble doing the same route or similar.
    This is the ride: http://www.peakdistrictcycleways.co.uk/cycle-route.php?route=HEVC1
    Lots of technical stuff in there and there’s loads of options, cut it down back on the road etc. This route would also be very good backwards, it did seem there was up than downhill when I was doing it. I’d miss out the Cavedale bit though as that would your first climb and it’ll be a pita. Plus after Hope Cross it’d be a great steady slightly technical descent all the way back down to Hope. & Chapel Gate would be better as a descent too.

Macc forest is the best place to go for natural stuff under an hours drive from Stoke. There was a great route in the mag late last year which involves plenty of climbing over the Cat n Fiddle and 3 major descents, the best the area has to offer. For an epic day out sometimes I get the train to Macc and cycle through the Forest for the fun bits and then along the roads through Leek and back to Stoke. If you want to go the other way The Long Mynd is about 1hr 20mins or so, & the same distance to Llandegla. Cannock is great, not far away and there’s lots of options there, the monkey will only take about 3hrs so it’s good to mix it up for a longer day. Drive only some of the way and cycle through the fields & bridleways above Stafford to get to Cannock, have a lunch there etc. It’s All Good.

acidchunks
    bland

I’m going to be moving down to j16 area of stoke next month so if anyone is over Newcastle side drop me a line as it would be good to hook up. Went to UNi at keele so know hanchurch well bud going to be short of local riding buddies, mtb and road

Mbnut
    Free Member

Hello guys

Thanks for the info guys.

Cuckoo I need to find ‘Macclesfield Forest, Gradbach, The Roaches, 3-shires head, Hollinsclough for rocky descents.’ on the map… have map forest but the others I will do some digging on.

Jekkyl I found the Peakdistrictcycleways site last night, looks interesting and a good resource.

As the weather looks like it might be good this weekend I am thinking we might get booked into Edale YHA and head up to Mam Tor via Hollins Cross, west on Rushup Edge… from the end of Rushup Edge i need a little help… do we hit the road and then go right onto the Pennine Bridleway towards Tom Moor Plantation and follow it all the way to Mount Famine and then Coldwell Clough, Oaken Clough, Edale Cross and down Jacobs Ladder and back to Edale…

Looks a good route on good ole bing maps OS but having trouble gauging the distance, terrain and overall ascent to be sure it is doable.

Just being there is going to be great!!

banks
    Free Member

Spoilt for choice mate – nearly 10 years riding in the peaks and i’m not bored yet!!

Loads of choice – suppose posting up on here you’re looking for a guide or someone to show you a route there’d be a few offers…

banks
    Free Member

P.s never, ever, ever, ever ride up cavedale!

1. Pindale is shite
    2. Cavedale is mint ‘spesh the top bit & it finished at not one, not two but three pubs!!

cuckoo
    Free Member

If your in the Peak this weekend there is the Hope Valley College Mountain Bike Challenge taking place.

Two routes (14 or 28 miles) and lots of cake stops on the way. It could be a good way to find some of the trails in the area. Think you can register on the day at Hope Valley College if there are still places available.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Just had a look at the Hope Valley Ride… looks good but at £50 for the pair of us and only 6 people riding the short loop I think I will stick with the plan of a walk with some map work on Saturday and then ride Sunday.

Banks – I may well be up for a meet up sometime, right now I think my lad can ride most of the stuff I have found in videos and photos but not at pace so wouldn’t want to hold anyone up!

Any thoughts on the route I am looking at?? Am I doing it the right way round? Will it be mostly ridable etc?

Guess i’ll know come Sunday afternoon!!

carlos
    Free Member

Mbnut – not got time now but I’ll send over a couple of routes via email later. The route you have planned is a decent one although most will argue about the direction, this is ST remember. I personally like it either way (Ooo errr!!)

Carl

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Peak District advice please’ is closed to new replies.