Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • PCE Thumbies – talk to me please :-)
  • psychle
    Free Member

Thinking about setting up a 1 x 9/10 setup on one of my bikes. I want to have a retro look, but would like to run a modern rear derailleur (SRAM XX perhaps). Came across the Thumbies whilst googling around, they look quite nice and minimalist, and they also fit the 'retro looking' bill.

How do folk (who use them) find them in practice? And what shifters are you using?

cheers 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

I've got these (with Dura-ace, mainly used in friction mode) on my cargo bike and am putting a set on my Karate Monkey.

They are totally hassle-free. Used in friction mode they are surprisingly easy to use – you very rarely miss a gear – and are completely impervious to crappy adjustment or muck.

That said, I ran them on a "proper" mountainbike for a while. If you find yourself wanting to change gear at high speed in rough ground then they are definitely not as good as "proper" shifters. You can't expect to come raging through a section needing more speed and just change up while hanging on. The position and the way they work mean that you sacrifice some control to change gear in a way that you don't on modern triggers. There's a definite limitation there. Absolutely fine for ambient-jeycore-lite, not so hot for aggressive-all-hillock. 🙂

phatstanley
    Free Member

i use mine in the scottish borders mostly, (durace or ultegra shifters, cannae mind..) but have ridden with them in the lakes, wales and heading to bc this summer.
    having never really had "modern" ones, they work plenty fine for me with no faffing whatsoever. except for when i broke one running into a tree.

the only thing was, i need to take a hack saw to them so they would n't be in the way cuz i run them outboard of my oro levers, to facilitate uno finger braking…..

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have been told that the more recent model has clearance for this without hack-sawing, but I'm not 100% sure.

solarider
    Free Member

I use them:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/look-what-just-arrived-sram-xxseven-cycles-content

Absolutely love them. The arc of the shift isn't so great that it is every out of reach. Great for a double set up, which is what I am running. The only issue might be front shifting on a triple because of the lack of front indexing, but since you aren't going that way it doesn't matter.

They fit fine with my Magura Martas.

Paul's now do 3 different versions specific to SRAM, Shimano and Campagnolo, so you need to be specific when you order.

Cosmetically, it is a shame that the SRAM shifters have red parts. As one poster heckled in the original thread, they do look a bit like bells!

rOcKeTdOg

do you use bar end or down tube shifters with these and how easy are they to fit

oh and where's cheapest?

solarider
    Free Member

Yes, you use bar end/down tube shifters, although the SRAM ones will only work with XX because of the cable pull, hence PCE have only just started making SRAM specific models. Also, I think that new Dura Ace isnt compatible with the Shimano Off Road cable pull, so you have to go for the model before, but I might be wrong.

They are dead easy to fit, although they don;t have a split clamp for the bars so you have to take everything else off before you fit them.

I got mine from Aspire Velotech, although I think PCE do now have a UK importer if you Google it. They didn't at the time.

They run just like thumbies of old. Personally I prefer them to triggers, or twisters, but it is perhaps not as ergonomic as the natural position your thumb falls into on triggers as you have to twist your wrist up a bit to use the thumbies. Nothing you don;t get used to though. LIghter than triggers, cheaper than triggers, a bit different. What more is there to add?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘PCE Thumbies – talk to me please :-)’ is closed to new replies.