Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • PC strange problem
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

My computer seems to reboot without issues but when turned off and on again, it turns on but the monitors don’t come out of standby.

I can usually get it working by unplugging all the monitors, or all but one (and which one varies) and then rebooting. Sometimes several times.

I assume it’s either the GPU or PSU.

Which would you replace first or is it 50/50? I don’t have spare either to use to check.

Thanks

stevehine

what OS are you using ? Maybe try disabling fast boot if it’s windows before you go prying around with hardware…

try this

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Yes. 10. I’ll try that thanks.

stevehine

No worries. fwiw fast boot does a “mini-hibernate” on shutdown; but does a full off+on with reboots. Most of the problems I see with “It’s ok if I reboot; but if I shut it down and then switch it on it’s broken” are cured by disabling it.

richmars

Depending on how keen you are you can look at the event viewer (type ‘event viewer’ in the search box.
    This records everything that happens, so 99.9% of it isn’t useful, but you can look under Windows Logs/System which may give an indication of whats going on. Make a note of the exact time it crashes which will help finding what the problem is.Once you’re found the likely fault it’s up to Google to find a solution.

ratadog

My similar Win 10 fault was solved by switching fast boot of and then putting it back on again. Similar symptoms to yours initially but if left for 30 minutes everything did eventually light up. It was a glacial boot problem.

bungle

Does the same happen with the PC sleeping?

Some monitors, DELL for example, have independent sleep/off settings.

Does turning monitor on/off rather than unplugging fix it?

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have two Windows 10 computers that do/did that and both are/were running legacy ATI/AMD graphics cards (one laptop and one desktop respectively).

The laptop is fine on first boot from a no power state (the battery is as good as dead) but subsequent reboots bring the problem back. I never noticed a correlation with the desktop before I removed the problem card.

I’ll try it again from a no power state and see what happens then disable fast boot and see what it does.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have two Windows 10 computers that do/did that and both are/were running legacy ATI/AMD graphics cards (one laptop and one desktop respectively).

The laptop is fine on first boot from a no power state (the battery is as good as dead) but subsequent reboots bring the problem back. I never noticed a correlation with the desktop before I removed the problem card.

I’ll try it again from a no power state and see what happens then disable fast boot and see what it does.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I’ve been on holiday but wanted to thank you Steve and others.

I disabled fastboot and it’s fixed. Booting is now at a 90s speed even with an SSD, but at least it does. It would have been several hundred pounds for a PSU and GPU.

stevehine

Good to know; at least that saved you shelling out for unneeded hardware !

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

kind of had my eye on a GTX 1070… 🙂

scaredypants

hmmm

I’ve got this going on with my work PC just now. Guess I need to investigate but doubt I can do anything about it; our policy is ludicous – elevated privileges required for anything (genuinely, it was a year or two before I could right-click 😀 though that was an anomaly, apparently)

stevehine

kind of had my eye on a GTX 1070

Well go for it then – you might find that a newer card / updated drivers plays ball with fastboot – though it could be something completely unrelated that’s tripping it up. Either way; worst case would be leaving fastboot off

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I currently have a 780 so can’t really justify an upgrade as opposed to a replacement. I’ve also kind of got my eye on new forks, a new saddle, cordless drill, winch for the pick-up and wheel-building jig… 🙂

@scardeypants – if you’re unable to turn the PC on and therefore work, doesn’t it become a bit of a priority?

“it was a year or two before I could right-click”

Were you on a Mac? I have to suffer one for work. A high-spec MBP used for nothing other than Google Docs and email. Anything of substance is done with a PC.

scaredypants

@scardeypants – if you’re unable to turn the PC on and therefore work, doesn’t it become a bit of a priority?

monitor off and back on generally sorts it. In fact in some ways it’s a benefit – other people don’t like to use it when I’m off the desk. I can log in with the monitor off and then sometimes it’ll wake itself up anyway

No, not a mac, just paranoid IT dept (somewhat rightly so as it’s NHS data)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘PC strange problem’ is closed to new replies.