Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • PC help please..
  • salad_dodger

I’m pretty useless at anything related to computers so if anyone is able to offer me some help I’d really appreciate it.

My PC is currently connected to the internet by a 30ft length of cable which runs between the Virgin Media modem and the back of my PC. After putting up with this for far too long, its time to go wireless. There seems to be a huge range of routers to choose from but I have no idea which one is suitable for Virgin Media and is also compatible with Vista (64bit if that makes any difference). Apart from the router, will I need to buy anything else?

Thanks for any help offered!

Cougar

You’ll need a wireless card for your PC, for a start.

I’m not familiar with Virgin modems; is there a model number on it perhaps, then I can work out what you’ve got?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You can get a wireless usb dongle rather than a proper card. They cost about £10

uplink
    Free Member

something like this will do it

just look for cable wireless routers

mancjon
    Free Member

Your laptop may have wireless built in so you need to check that first. 64bit will not affect which router you get nor your connection but it would affect the wireless card if you needed to purchase one ie. if you need drivers for the card make sure they support 64Bit.

As for a wireless router i used Linksys and it worked fine. You Virgin modem should have an ethernet connection on the back of it and you connect that to the wireless router and then off you go.

Netgear are also perfectly fine to go with.

salad_dodger

Thanks Cougar. My PC already has a wireless card so that’s one less thing to worry about. The modem model number is E08C013.00 and its has a trade name of Ambit.

Cougar

Ah, is it presented the same as NTL? What Uplink said, then.

nickjb
    Free Member

Wireless routers usually come free with broadband deals. Ebay is littered with them. Have you renewed your contract recently, they might even owe you one, worth a phone call.

salad_dodger

Thanks everyone. Once again singletrack comes up trumps!

Cougar

That’ll be last night’s beer, sorry about that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘PC help please..’ is closed to new replies.