Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • PC Graphics cards
  • rhysboy1
    Free Member

I’ve currently got a 128mb graphics card in my PC, would upgrading to a 512mb Nvidia card make a big difference?

Offroading
    Free Member

Well do you use it for gaming/video editing etc ?

If so yes it will.

rhysboy1
    Free Member

Just games.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lowey

The memory is really a headline that does not mean much. Its the GFX processor that makes the difference. A high spec 256 card will devastate a budget 1 gig card.

Offroading
    Free Member

Yes then it will.

MrGreedy

Depends on your motherboard, processor and memory too. If you can post details you’ll get a better answer. A 128MB graphics could easily be 5 or 6 years old and use an AGP slot rather than PCI Express (the current standard), in which case your motherboard is unlikely to be able to take anything anywhere near the cutting edge.

rhysboy1
    Free Member

Processor is Pentium D820 2.8 GHz dual core.
    1GB RAM.

zaskar
    Free Member

Go to crucial website for the scanner to look up your specs with the scanner…

I’d wait. DX11 cards are nearly here so all current cards will be coming down.

Personally I’d get a good card but it’ll be the cpu that counts even if the card does most of the work.

look on youtube for reviews-see thevids comparing before/after.

flipiddy
    Free Member

It might be worth seriously considering a console.

I spent quite a few years casually PC gaming, in the end I got sick of tweaking settings to get games running optimally. Sometimes I spent so much time tweaking a few fps here and there, that by the time I actually got around to playing it, I had lost interest (Oblivion for example).

The beauty of consoles is that there is none of this – just stick the disk in and play, a very polished experience. I can’t say I miss having a mouse and keyboard either.

I bought an xbox for about the same price as a quality graphics card and I don’t regret it one bit. In 15+ years of gaming some of the most fun, memorable experiences have been in the last year playing with buddies, either split-screen or online (Gears of War, RE5, Left 4 Dead). To me, that says a lot about the quality of it.

Just a thought….

mutley

go for he 512 card and up your system ram to 2gb if you’re on xp or as much as your motherboard will take if you’re on vista

you will notice a big difference

Drac

Mutley speaks sense.

Haze

As mentioned before, make sure you’ve got a PCI-Express slot if you’re going for a PCI-E card. AGP otherwise.

Offroading
    Free Member

Yup max yourself out on the ram with a good card.

Im running 3gb of high speed ram now with a 2.8ghz dual core pcu but i only have 128mb graphics card.

The quality of the card is most important as said a high end 512mb card will whoop a low end 1gb card then again a high end 1gig card is £££££

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘PC Graphics cards’ is closed to new replies.