Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • PC Cases and water cooling
  • rkk01
    Free Member

I have bought some PC upgrade components (m/b, cpu, RAM, etc). Bundle selection included several water cooling options, for 120mm and 240mm radiators. As the 120 option was out of stock, I chose 240 rather than waiting for new stock 🙁

Now have the problem of trying to fit a mahoosive radiator to an old Coolermaster aluminium case… On top? External? Bodge the side panel?

Any thoughts appreciated…!

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t bother and stick with fan cooking? Unless you’ve gone proper mental on the spec

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The silence of the last water cooled I had was very nice

IA

New case. Got a nice fractal one here with a 240 rad in:
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/fractal-design-define-xl-r2-black-pearl-full-tower-performance-xl-atx-case-with-usb-30-w-o-psu

I can recommend it as being ace, if a bit mahooosive, though I needed to fit a bunch of stuff.

(water as it’s cooling a hot xeon that gets kept at full load for weeks on end and is in an office so needs to be quiet)

rkk01
    Free Member

Hhmm, was trying to avoid replacing the case…

New components in old case = old computer
    New components in new case = “where did you get the money to buy a new computer”

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I haven’t messed about with water or freezing for donkeys, I used to have a massive 360x360mm rad and an Eheim 1260 in a 30l reservoir tucked away under the eves for total silence.
    I think you ‘need’ a new case.

IA

Ok, old case – do you have space up the front of it? Often a good spot there. Side panel is in the way of GPU unless you’ve a massive case….but if you did you’d have space and not be asking.

THe floor of the case can work too if you cut/drill intakes, but then you’re pulling the CPU air INTO the case which you need to exhaust somehow. Not idea but no worse than an air cooler.

What’s the case you’ve got?

Rockplough
    Free Member

I’m assuming having plumped for 240mm the case has a location for 240mm fan? If so depending on the cooler, you may be able to mount the rad internally, and the fan externally, sandwiching the case. Snip the case grille out if so.

What cooler is it?

edit: Or are we talking 2x120mm?

jimwah
    Free Member

Could cut a 240×120 rectangle out of the top of the case, forward of the PSU, and cable tie the rad to that, pulling air up through the case and out the top. I think that’s how I’d bodge it. My old CoolerMaster case had a pretty solid alu front to it, and would’ve been difficult to mount up front anywhere.

GrahamA
    Free Member

Have you considered a water CPU cooler?

Its not as fancy as a full water cooler but it makes for a very quite PC

jolmes
    Free Member

+1 on the cpu water cooler, very quiet PC

New components in old case = old computer
    New components in new case = “where did you get the money to buy a new computer”

Am living by this currently, just managed to squeeze in time this lunch around the dog walk to install a new RX 480 gfx card…shame i don’t have the right connector for it, will have to make an excuse to pop out tonight 🙁

rkk01
    Free Member

It’s an Asetek water cpu cooler and 240 x 120 rad from OCUK.

Top of case, far side panel (i.e. below mobo), or separate freestanding external (well on a support) seem like the current options…

… Or a new case and earache

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘PC Cases and water cooling’ is closed to new replies.