Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • PC: 2 bootable discs with W7 – can I ignore one?
  • scaredypants

bios notices both and waits for a choice rather than booting up 👿

one is a new installation and other is the previous version, keeping ’til I know the new one’s OK and hasn’t got data hidden on the C partition that I might need

Can I force the bios to only notice the new one ?
    (tried to make the other disc non-active but it didn’t seem to like that)

Thank’ee

Northwind

Does the bios not have a boot order option? It’s sometimes pretty well hidden but I’ve never had a board that couldn’t do that, even back in the days when practically nobody had 2 drives.

dan1980
    Free Member

It’s not the bios as such that’s causing the problem, it’s the boot loader from widows.

The easiest option is to stop the menu appearing.

In the working version of Windows 7, open up the system control panel, go to advanced system properties, and the advanced tab, and click on the startup and recovery settings button. Choose the “default” operating system that you want to use, and uncheck the time to display list of operating systems.

PlopNofear
    Free Member

In bios you can turn the hard drive you don’t want off.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Do hdd still have jumpers on to change from a boot device to a slave or am i still living in the early 90s ?

scaredypants

Thanks all

discs are sata so no slave etc
    both have effectively identical W7 on them so couldn’t follow dan1980 to the letter but acyually just getting rid of the waiting time should do me fine

Ta !

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘PC: 2 bootable discs with W7 – can I ignore one?’ is closed to new replies.