Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Paypal – paying for items and this 'as gift' thing.
  • BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I've noticed that in recent months when buying anything on ebay or from here people quite often ask it be a paypal gift.

I assume this is to avoid fees but what if the items never turn up? How could I then dispute that through the usual paypal channels? Surely a better approach would be personal/money owed?

All hypothetical no problems with anyone on here.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Doesnt work anymore, paypal just give you the option of paying the recipients fees yourself, or letting them pay them. No more free gift transfers.

geoffj

If PayPal aren't getting a fee, then they are not going to help with chasing items. Wont matter if its a Gift or Personal or Money Owed.

Whether they will chase non-delivery of non-eBay purchases is questionable even if you have paid the fee.

geoffj

Doesnt work anymore, paypal just give you the option of paying the recipients fees yourself, or letting them pay them. No more free gift transfers.

When did that happen CK?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Funny, it worked for me when I sent one on Monday.

nbt

Whether they will chase non-delivery of non-eBay purchases is questionable even if you have paid the fee.

They do, I bought something off here that never turned up, seller never responded, Paypal refunded the cash.

footstomper
    Free Member

unfortunately the gift thingy does not work for free anymore as CK says. As I have found out recently when buying gear from here £20 posted suddenly becomes £20.85 when you pay 😕 so as of now any future deals i will be deducting the percentage off or not buying 😈

coffeeking
    Free Member

geoffj & dooosuk – I bought something off here a week ago and tried to pay by gift, after clicking "gift" I got the option of "pay the fees yourself" or "the recipient pays the fees"…..> next.

Maybe they just dont like me?

geoffj

geoffj & dooosuk – I bought something off here a week ago and tried to pay by gift, after clicking "gift" I got the option of "pay the fees yourself" or "the recipient pays the fees"…..> next.

I may be wrong, but is it not something to do with how you fund the payment. I have a linked account and seem to be able to send gifts without fees. I did one this morning in fact. Interestingly though, a buyer I sold to had a similar issue. Strange.

4ags4
    Free Member

This is strange, I sent a 'Gift' this morning and there were definitely no charges either way. The monies did come out of funds already in the account – does this make a difference?

theflatboy
    Free Member

i did a "gift" transfer the other day and got asked the fees question too.

footstomper
    Free Member

This is strange, I sent a 'Gift' this morning and there were definitely no charges either way. The monies did come out of funds already in the account – does this make a difference?

4ags4 you may have sussed the issue, I will put money into the account next time before paying out and maybe I will stop getting the message about fees 😀

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I have just checked and the item I bought at the start of the week and sent payment as a 'gift' via paypal did not involve any fees my side. I had no funds in there but my account is verified.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if it comes off a card there is a fee

if its from account or existing paypal funds then its free when a gift

clubber
    Free Member

As above – if you have a direct debit set up it's free. If it comes off a card then there are fees to pay one way or another.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Paypal – paying for items and this 'as gift' thing.’ is closed to new replies.