Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Paypal claim
  • scottw
    Free Member

Hi folks,

Looking for some information regarding paypal claims…

I bought a set of 2010 Rockshox boxxer teams for £350 off of another forum on Friday the 20th – The guy said he would send them out on the Saturday morning. I get to Thursday with no forks, so I email the chap to ask if he’s managed to post them ok, etc… No response and still no forks on Friday(27th), so I send him a second email stating that if he doesn’t reply to my email by Saturday(28th) I’ll be filing a paypal dispute against him.

Saturday comes and still no reply and or forks. So I went a head and filed the Paypal dispute with a detailed email to the chap. On Sunday there still wasn’t any response so I decided I might as well escalate the claim. From what I understand of it, if he doesn’t reply to that within 10 days(8th of February) I get my funds back into my account?

Turns out another guy on the same forum also bought a set of cranks off the guy and he has had the same trouble and also gone down a similar route with paypal and filing a dispute and escalating it.

The other guy has actually had two responses from the guy;

The first one was on Friday –
    “i went to the post office and there coming back as ‘Delivered to target address’ can you visit your local post office incase theres been a problem”

And the second one today –
    “HAHAHAHAHA I stole the identity using the same details you got from facebook, i dont even live in the uk, good bye!”

So I had been doing some research into the guy from his account name and email address, while this was all on going and I managed to find his twitter, facebook, address, phonenumber etc. But according to the response that the other guy got it seems it isn’t actually the same guy, or it is and he’s just trying to cover his tracks…

Little bit worried I won’t get my money back now – is there any way he can get around paypal paying me back? Hopefully some people on here know how paypal works in a situation like this?

My payment wasn’t done as a gift, luckily!

Thanks,

Scott

wwaswas

I’m fairly sure that if it wasn’t Paypal s a gift then you’re covered.

I suggest you forward the details you have to Paypal and let them deal with it.

If it went through a credit card then you’ve also got some protection as it’s over £100.

scottw
    Free Member

It wasn’t paypal as a gift – it was through goods and I paid the extra to cover the fee. But it’s not gone through a credit card unfortunately, I think I’ll do that in future for instances like this. I’ve been buying things on mtb forums for years and never had a problem, obviously got too trustworthy – although something about this sale made me pay the fees rather than as a gift like I normally do. Possibly just being a high amount though!

I’m just worried that obviously he claims to be someone he isn’t, so it’s a made up email and a paypal account probably just for this purpose. Can he cancel his paypal or his bank account and that’ll stop the money coming back out?

Or do paypal just return the money when this sort of thing happens?

sailingneil
    Free Member

Visa debt is covered by a form of protection similar to credit cards if that is any help

scottw
    Free Member

Any idea how I can add further information to the paypal claim? I was going to add that another person who bought stuff off the guy has had an email saying “Blah, blah…”

But I can’t see anywhere to add it. Or do I just have to wait for paypal to ask me questions?

Yeah, thankfully visa debit is protected just like credit cards as me and 4 friends bought winter tyres before Christmas and we all had card fraud through it. I was using my debit card again but luckily got it all back.

Does it work just the same even though it’s through paypal?

I.e. Phone up Lloyds TSB and tell them what’s happened and they can get it back for me?

Or do I wait until the 8th of February for the paypal claim to end first?

Thanks

sailingneil
    Free Member

Not sure if it still applies as the funds were transferred via a third party, but if the paypal approach doesn’t work it might be worth a shot

Marko

Forget the credit card protection:

. ‘.. PayPal will nearly always side with the buyer in the event of a dispute. If you are paying for goods over £100 and want the Section 75 consumer protection given to those using a credit card, be aware that you don’t get that if you make the payment via PayPal – even if the money comes off your credit card.’

From the Guardian:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jan/27/is-paypal-safe-protection?INTCMP=SRCH

Hth
    Marko

Marko

Forget the credit card protection:

. ‘.. PayPal will nearly always side with the buyer in the event of a dispute. If you are paying for goods over £100 and want the Section 75 consumer protection given to those using a credit card, be aware that you don’t get that if you make the payment via PayPal – even if the money comes off your credit card.’

From the Guardian:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jan/27/is-paypal-safe-protection?INTCMP=SRCH

Hth
    Marko

scottw
    Free Member

Sounds more promising that paypal always sides with the buyer, lets hope that happens in my case. Such a long wait to find out!

Sum
    Free Member

Don’t worry. Paypal will side with you. Be patient and escalate the claim as soon as the time limit is up. You will get your money back straight away.

scottw
    Free Member

Thanks Sum.

I Escalated the claim the day after filing the dispute as it didn’t seem like it would do any harm, as I could still cancel it if the forks did happen to arrive. So now I’ve just got to wait the 10 days that the seller gets to respond, then hopefully I’ll get my money back!

scottw
    Free Member

Paypal sorted it out and I got my money back, happy with that service and well worth paying the extra for paypal fees! Now to find some forks…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Paypal claim’ is closed to new replies.