Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Paypal account – Hacked ??
  • RichJJ
    Free Member

Been sent a receipt from paypal this afternoon confirming my purchase from House of Fraser for £273.80 which wasn’t my purchase. I didnt think it was possible for paypal to be hacked ? I tried to find a number to call them but it seems that you can’t, instead you open a dispute resolution and its done electronically, so I dont even get to find out how it happened, was it a mistake or hacked and how if its meant to be secure. I then had to do a series of things to lift the now enforced ‘restriction’ including, obviously, checking my details and changing my password. On checking the details there was another address in Coventry listed along with mine. Am I being naive in thinking paypal was secure and a trusted method of payment ? Guess that I cant use CRC again now if my paypal has gone 😆

Anyway, if you ordered the following items then I suggest you re-order them as I’m not bloody paying for them !!!

Shipping Cost Adjustment
    Item Number S-00001 £6.00 GBP 1 £6.00 GBP
    Larkee 8XR Mid Wash Whisker Jeans x1
    Item Number 124527758 £95.00 GBP 1 £95.00 GBP
    Knitted biker jumper x1
    Item Number 159977661 £160.00 GBP 1 £160.00 GBP
    Logo gloves x1
    Item Number 156895145 £12.80 GBP 1 £12.80 GBP

Cougar

Could be fraudulent.

Ignore the receipt, log into Paypal manually (by typing paypal.com into the address bar) and see if the transaction actually exists.

Do NOT click any links in the email. If you have, change your password.

RichJJ
    Free Member

Yep, I did. It was all on the account itself.

nealglover
    Free Member

Jesus, £160 for a Knitted Jumper !!

At those prices I would use someone else’s Paypal account too.

nealglover
    Free Member

On a more serious note.

Why not call House of Fraser customer services, explain whats happened, and cancel the order.

If you do it fast, they may not have sent it yet.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

The financial loss is nothing to do with you – its their problem. “Ideally”.

Realistically – your account may be frozen. I had this done for totally innocent reasons and paypal were the biggest royalest muder flipping buggers, heel dragging, cow’s ass lickers to ever deal with.

If you rely on paypal to any extent then I’d honestly suggest getting another paypal account set up. You’ll need a different card number.

Or it could go all sweetness and light and you’ll be fine.

(apologies for breaking all the rules I’m try to avoid)

poly
    Free Member

Of course paypal can be hacked just the same as any other simple “username” and “password” combination can. How easy that is to do depends on various factors, some of which you control.

Assuming your paypal username is your standard email address there is not much you can do to stop it being “discoverable”. However its incredible how insecure the average person is with their passwords.

– don’t use words from the dictionary.
    – don’t just add 1 to the end of the above.
    – don’t use the same password everywhere.

e.g. lets say I want to harvest a whole load of details I set up a website which looks genuine and ask users to register. I’d bet 50% of people doing this give me their email address and the password required to login to that email (and probably their paypal acount too – but if not I now have the ability to ask paypal for a reminder and pick it up). Even if my site was genuine it might get hacked and then the hacker uses those details. Realistically we can’t spend days investigating the security of every new site – so use a different password for each site.

RichJJ
    Free Member

Charge now ‘appears’ to have been refunded 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Paypal account – Hacked ??’ is closed to new replies.